Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting sticks

Shooting sticks

Good morning everyone
    Curious to know how many of you use shooting sticks? I've thought about buying a pair but at the same time that is just another thing I would have to pack with me.
    Any pros or cons with using shooting sticks besides always having a rest for your gun.
    Thank you,
    Have a good day

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Shooting sticks

I have used the Stoney Point style collapsing stix for a long time. Light, compact if needed, a guy can do some good shooting from sitting position with the stix. Another good option, but heavier and bulkier, is the Primos Trigger Stick. They come in monopod, bipod and tripod, sitting/kneeling and offhand heights. I use the tripod versions, have both short and tall, amazingly solid! Came in handy last fall, my partner used the short tripod to make a nice shot on a moose at 275 yards. Without it, shot placement would of been a lot more of a gamble.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Todbartell thanks for your reply. I bought a tripod for my American ruger .308 last year but have not mounted on yet. Undecided if I should use it? Only reason is I'm a new to hunting 3 years and the lack of experience makes it tough to make decisions.

Anything you can do to support your rifle and shoot more accurately is a good thing. Packing stix or a tripod isn't realistic in some hunting scenarios, but in some it does and a hunter should consider doing so.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I looked at factory sticks and was unimpressed with the flimsy build quality of everything I handled in the stores. The reviews I read on them were not encouraging, especially telescopic models. Then I looked at lot of diy designs on the interwebs for proper, full length sticks like they use in Africa. I conflated several to come up with my own design using hardwood dowels and paracord. They are 6' long, form a tripod when deployed and collapse to a walking staff when not in use. Absolutely rock solid to shoot from. Monopods wander all over the place - might as well shoot freehand. Bipods are better, but still move back to front too much for my liking. I made a second short set to shoot sitting or kneeling that attach to the side of my backpack for long hikes when I want my hands free. Not perfected yet, but I like them and think they are way better than anything store bought. A couple hunting partners concur and now want a set.

Most of the time my shooting stick is a trekking pole.

I do have a Bog Pod bipod for stand hunting coyotes etc. that woks pretty good.

I always have my sticks in my pack. They are light to carry and can be a great asset when you cant go prone to shoot. I practice from this position before a hunt. Get your back up against a tree, put your pack under your knee you are resting your forestock arm on, lean the sticks back towards you and it makes for a decent shooting position. I recommend you get a set.

I made my own using two pieces of cane, some tape and a nut/bolt to connect them into an X. Work great

hands down the best ones to date,,, Outdoorsmans Triclawps. It can connect to your tripod for your spotting scope.

There was a thread not long ago on this. There was some good feedback in there.