Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting sticks

Re: Shooting sticks

One stick or two can be used for supporting other items as well like binos, camera, quick spotter look, etc
    but it is interesting to see the possible supports that can be thrown together using a couple branches, or one stick and a tree, or two christmas tree tops lashed together, or limbing out part of a tree and leaving one branch stub for a rest, or paracord between two trees resting the barrel in the V at the middle, or hanging a barrel from a single branch by cord, or and or
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    I looked at factory sticks and was unimpressed with the flimsy build quality of everything I handled in the stores. The reviews I read on them were not encouraging, especially telescopic models. Then I looked at lot of diy designs on the interwebs for proper, full length sticks like they use in Africa. I conflated several to come up with my own design using hardwood dowels and paracord. They are 6' long, form a tripod when deployed and collapse to a walking staff when not in use. Absolutely rock solid to shoot from. Monopods wander all over the place - might as well shoot freehand. Bipods are better, but still move back to front too much for my liking. I made a second short set to shoot sitting or kneeling that attach to the side of my backpack for long hikes when I want my hands free. Not perfected yet, but I like them and think they are way better than anything store bought. A couple hunting partners concur and now want a set.
    Bud had a set made from three pieces of 6' bamboo, like the stick found at a garden supply stores for propping plants. Lashed them together with bicycle inner tube and the way he did it one pole could be slid higher or lower to adjust height. Only use I had for it was to hang a pot over a fire )

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    One stick or two can be used for supporting other items as well like binos, camera, quick spotter look, etc
    but it is interesting to see the possible supports that can be thrown together using a couple branches, or one stick and a tree, or two christmas tree tops lashed together, or limbing out part of a tree and leaving one branch stub for a rest, or paracord between two trees resting the barrel in the V at the middle, or hanging a barrel from a single branch by cord, or and or
    When I learned to shoot back in early 80s my dad and I would shoot from just laying down kneeling using a stump branch whatever.
    Seems more people are leaning towards shooting sticks.

I'm not very agile and use treking poles when walking. Unless there is a good solid rest handy I hook the poles together with the wrist straps and it makes a decent bi-pod. Much stabler than offhand or even from one knee.

Quote Originally Posted by BStrachan View Post
    When I learned to shoot back in early 80s my dad and I would shoot from just laying down kneeling using a stump branch whatever.
    Seems more people are leaning towards shooting sticks.
    take what you read with a grain of salt. Guys who use them will respond, guys who sell them will push the idea.
    In the real world, there are few that carry the gadgets other people think they should use, best to school yourself