Thread: Mare-in-hear moose lure work for deer?

Mare-in-heat moose lure work for deer?

I came back from a September moose trip last year and had spilled some mare-in-heat moose juice in my day pack.

I had washed it, but it still stank.

Anyway, at the end of October I was tucked into a cosy little nook watching a deer trail in the interior, rattling antlers, tipping a doe bleat can and smelling like horse urine and a big mule deer buck walked into my sights.

I'm still wondering whether it was the rattling, the doe bleat, the moose juice, just putting myself in the right place at the right time or luck.

Maybe all of the above?

How do you think bucks respond to the mare in heat scent?
    Last edited by MichelD; 07-10-2019 at 06:03 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mare-in-hear moose lure work for deer?

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I came back from a September moose trip last year and had spilled some mare-in-heat moose juice in my day pack.

I had washed it, but it still stank.

Anyway, at the end of October I was tucked into a cosy little nook watching a deer trail in the interior, rattling antlers, tipping a doe bleat can and smelling like horse urine and a big mule deer buck walked into my sights.

I'm still wondering whether it was the rattling, the doe bleat, the moose juice, just putting myself in the right place at the right time or luck.

Maybe all of the above?

How do you think bucks respond to the mare in heat scent?
    That big mule just wanted to see what all the noise was about. Did the buck come in from downwind? Try it all again this year, you might have found the key to the game.