Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does grazing cows affect your hunting area

How does grazing cows affect your hunting area

I've been working on scouting a new area this year. I was a little late in getting the cams out but did get them out in late May. Anyway, I have been up a few time to check the cams and the area is very promising. I've gotten pics of many deer both bucks and does. This past weekend I checked again and noticed that cows are now grazing in the area. Actually, a group of them bedded down right in front of my camera. While reviewing the pics, I noticed that the cows may have been actually chasing a few deer away. My question is: How do cows grazing in an area affect the deer population and activities? Should I consider focusing in a different area?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How does grazing cows affect your hunting area

Here we go again.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

One of my favourite deer areas is seasonally shared with cattle and I've never noticed much of a difference when they are there versus not there.

Good time to post a backcountry reminder-- if you find a gate closed but have permission to carry on, close it again as soon as you are through. If you find it open, leave it open.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I have found it'll displace the deer but only for a short time, the cows are always moving, i'll get less pics of deer for a few days when the cattle are in that area, but then they'll come back
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

The biggest problem with cows in the area where your cams are is that you cant put down a salt lick or bait as the cows will sit on it. Im not sure there are many area's around Kamloops that don't have cows grazing at some point in time, so it sucks that you could hear something moving, stock in only to find a cow, but I have seen them standing together on lots of occassions
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Ranchers will be putting out salt of their own, though not used often by deer late in the fall, they do visit the sites.

Time for a new blind
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BbGLWdyxCo
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Ultimately it makes no difference. I hunt mulies and whities in areas with cows, i find deer dont like to hang out close to them but the deer are still around.

Its just annoying getting 500 pics of cows and 2 deer lol.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

guest Guest

Oh My Boxhitch......lol
    Youve given me a new idea ....way less work and set up time then Willow blinds we do in Saskatchewan for Geese Lol. Does it come in Blacknwhite, Brown, Brownnwhite??
    Cows Calves Bulls Big Bull models??? for big n small people?

Oh and do they make a Variety of Horse models too?
    Last edited by guest; 07-08-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Some deer probably stay away while others don't even seem to notice. I have seen deer hanging out very close to cows as they graze.

One word, Shitty.
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..