Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How does grazing cows affect your hunting area

Re: How does grazing cows affect your hunting area

never experienced it. but this is a very interesting discussion to follow
    Last edited by barongan; 07-10-2019 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    great probably straight run grass non irregated high straw content...or they purchase it from a long standing freing look small square bails roughly way 60 pounds and sell for 7-8 dollars a bail...typically a round bail is supposed to be 1 tonne.. they may be light..

A lot of your “facts” are immensely skewed. I will leave it at that. Many truths in this thread and most guys here have actually paid attention.

Threads like this one sure make a guy wonder why hunters need access to leases and will trespass on private land when many of them think ranchers are land rapists and there is no wildlife where cattle are or have been.

Carry on guys.

I HATE hunting where cattle abound shitting all over the place and stinking it up ! RJ

One of my favorite spots has seen a lot of cattle the past two years. Nothing says fun like spending an hour stalking up to a group of bedded down mulie’s to only have the cowboys drive a herd right through the middle of them. I was NOT impressed. And yes, I agree with RJ about the amount of shit and smell, not to mention the f’d up water holes etc.

My experience has been negative, and has occurred in a “protected area”. I should probably look into whether or not it’s legal for them to graze there...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

gcreek not attacking ranchers at all sir i beleive you and i met in chezakut wrong spelling..i am a farmer myself.not immemsley skewed just the rules i see bent through observation...like your cattle losses suck but your range is on the edge of a mass wildernece some are expected...i spent many days this april branding i am not against ranching and last week i found my neighbours herd for them as i know there range well..

all i was saying all ranchers hunter natives and guides need to band toghether and deal with are internal.government before fighting internally..i have right know 227 animals in my yard i dont think i am anti grazing or farming..i beleive i still have your phone number if your who i think you are...ps i am the young guy whos family used to own the north end of puntzi if that jogs your memory.

end of the day over grazing is the same as over harvest your welcome to come for a weekend i will give you a place to stay and steak dinner and show you...you would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    A lot of your “facts” are immensely skewed. I will leave it at that. Many truths in this thread and most guys here have actually paid attention.

Threads like this one sure make a guy wonder why hunters need access to leases and will trespass on private land when many of them think ranchers are land rapists and there is no wildlife where cattle are or have been.

Carry on guys.
    Respectfully, and I mean that sincerely, I believe your perspective is a bit skewed.

The ranching industry is responsible for many of the environmental degradations in B.C. Here are a few examples:

-overgrazing: I've personally witnessed many areas that when the cows leave there isn't enough grass left to feed a gopher. This occurs in prime winter range for moose and mule deer as well as high elevation areas that support (or used to support sheep)

-degradation of water supplies: Again, I've personally witnessed riparian areas at the headwaters of creeks and rivers, trampled into oblivion, befouled with excrement and essentially unrecognizable from what they were before the cattle were allowed there. This occurs often at higher elevations where, in my opinion, grazing should not be allowed because of the destructive nature of cattle.

-spread of noxious weeds: Anyone who has even an elementary knowlege of what constitutes "noxious" weeds can see that cattle are a major contributor to their spread. Knappweed, Canada thistle, Russian thistle, sulphur sancfoil. Milk thistle, and a host of others are now commonplace throughout most of the province. These weeds are introduced to new ranges through seeds attaching themselves to the coats on cattle or through their excrement.

These are just a few examples without getting into methane gas produced or the gazillions of cultivated acres necessary to feed the herds.

Not all ranchers are irresponsible abusers of public land but many are. The point of this post is not to slam ranchers but to point out that the ranching industry cannot reasonably take the moral high ground in this debate as stewards. They do but need to take some responsibility for the damage that's been caused.

Anyway, don't take it personally. I enjoy your perspective and respect your opinions. I'm simply trying to inject some reality into this discussion.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

labguy well said...

So while up at the cabin in early May, i noticed cows on the range on May 10th, was hardly a stick of green grass to be seen anywhere. So i asked what gives, answer we are out of hay and didn't want to buy more so we let them out!!
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Respectfully, and I mean that sincerely, I believe your perspective is a bit skewed.

The ranching industry is responsible for many of the environmental degradations in B.C. Here are a few examples:

-overgrazing: I've personally witnessed many areas that when the cows leave there isn't enough grass left to feed a gopher. This occurs in prime winter range for moose and mule deer as well as high elevation areas that support (or used to support sheep)

-degradation of water supplies: Again, I've personally witnessed riparian areas at the headwaters of creeks and rivers, trampled into oblivion, befouled with excrement and essentially unrecognizable from what they were before the cattle were allowed there. This occurs often at higher elevations where, in my opinion, grazing should not be allowed because of the destructive nature of cattle.

-spread of noxious weeds: Anyone who has even an elementary knowlege of what constitutes "noxious" weeds can see that cattle are a major contributor to their spread. Knappweed, Canada thistle, Russian thistle, sulphur sancfoil. Milk thistle, and a host of others are now commonplace throughout most of the province. These weeds are introduced to new ranges through seeds attaching themselves to the coats on cattle or through their excrement.

These are just a few examples without getting into methane gas produced or the gazillions of cultivated acres necessary to feed the herds.

Not all ranchers are irresponsible abusers of public land but many are. The point of this post is not to slam ranchers but to point out that the ranching industry cannot reasonably take the moral high ground in this debate as stewards. They do but need to take some responsibility for the damage that's been caused.

Anyway, don't take it personally. I enjoy your perspective and respect your opinions. I'm simply trying to inject some reality into this discussion.
    As an ex-farmer, cattle do not eat these weeds. Not sure where you get your info from, but it is 100% wrong. As far as transferring seeds, burs etc on cattle hides; do they not attach to deer, elk, moose, bear etc??? Wild game travel many more miles than range cattle, so I’m thinking they play a big part in transfers also.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.