Thread: How does grazing cows affect your hunting area

Re: How does grazing cows affect your hunting area

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    You must SMELL - STINK really Badly ! RJ
    Now your just being mean .....

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    This wasn’t an apology.
    No? But we both know it should have been as you insinuated I was wrong saying cows do indeed eat thistles and you have since learned this is indeed a fact .

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    No? But we both know it should have been as you insinuated I was wrong saying cows do indeed eat thistles and you have since learned this is indeed a fact .
    Still not an apology. Out of close to 600 head on three different ranches/farms of ours and still the thistles weren’t eaten. That was my observation and my opinion. If you’re still not satisfied with this explanation, too bad.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Still not an apology. Out of close to 600 head on three different ranches/farms of ours and still the thistles weren’t eaten. That was my observation and my opinion. If you’re still not satisfied with this explanation, too bad.
    Ha ha ha ... wow 600 ? So a hobby farm .....that explains your limited view but not your stubbornness . We'll leave it at too bad

stinky... new hbc name for dannybuoy..

stinkybuoy!!! it has a good ring too it.

ridered come on know we all do know cows eat thistles... it come in with your hay..
    winter time a cow will eat newspaper..

salty lot of decent ranchers for sure...

also what happened to all the elk that used to call the merritt area home before the ranchers...

So I had a legitimate question. Came here to ask\. Found this box with P...P...P.. Pandora written on it and thought what the heck let's open it.
    But seriously, thanks everyone who answered THE QUESTION. The rest of you that argued the merits of grazing on public land, I'm taking my question and leaving .
    I can attest that once the cows found the salt, the area looks like a bomb went off. I will continue to monitor and keep you posted. This spot is an alpine meadow and I think the cows have grazed up there in past years. When I first went up it looked really good but I had a feeling that cows had grazed up there as the trails were too well defined. My cam picked up a few good looking bucks so hopefully they stick around. I think I have another question that will stir the pot. Will start a new thread for that one

UPDATE: Checked my cams and cows DO affect the dear movement. Less deer seem on one cam that has a lot of cows on. Other cams have shown less cows on it and more deer. I don't think that deer have moved out of the area completely, but definitely using different travel paths

my most successful honey hole for WT is in a pinch point above where the cattle spend the night. they move up the same way with deer leading or being pushed..once the cows get to my morning spot I start to slowly work my way ahead of them to where the deer like to go even if I missed them at the pinch point. I have also taken mule deer near a lake close to Clinton when there were cattle around...I have also seen moose near cattle in that same area above un-named lake