Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: How does grazing cows affect your hunting area

Re: How does grazing cows affect your hunting area

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    spread of noxious weeds: Anyone who has even an elementary knowlege of what constitutes "noxious" weeds can see that cattle are a major contributor to their spread. Knappweed, Canada thistle, Russian thistle, sulphur sancfoil. Milk thistle, and a host of others are now commonplace throughout most of the province. These weeds are introduced to new ranges through seeds attaching themselves to the coats on cattle or through their excrement.
    I would guess that the spread of weeds is more of a local issue if livestock are doing the spreading. Would also make an educated guess that wheeled or tracked vehicles of all kinds more widely spread weeds. We are all guilty, whether moving hay from one area to another or driving an ATV or truck through a weedy area and then going for a drive up a new logging road. Very few completely wash their mode of transportation with every change of scenery.

There are several cases I am aware of regarding Ducks Unlimited or Nature Conservancy land that livestock were excluded from and then asked to return after several years. When growth becomes woody and old bottom chokes out new the wildlife left too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Apology accepted .... maybe you had a few finicky cows ....
    This wasn’t an apology.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    I would guess that the spread of weeds is more of a local issue if livestock are doing the spreading. Would also make an educated guess that wheeled or tracked vehicles of all kinds more widely spread weeds. We are all guilty, whether moving hay from one area to another or driving an ATV or truck through a weedy area and then going for a drive up a new logging road. Very few completely wash their mode of transportation with every change of scenery.

There are several cases I am aware of regarding Ducks Unlimited or Nature Conservancy land that livestock were excluded from and then asked to return after several years. When growth becomes woody and old bottom chokes out new the wildlife left too.
    Vehicles definitely transport there fair share of weed seeds. Just look at the radiator on trucks and all around atv/utv for build up. Some would just peg cows as the culprit cause they don’t know any better.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I have personally had alot of success near and around cattle shooting many of deer within a few hundred yards of cattle. I Prefer to not hunt where they roam but sometimes it's hard to get away from them ... in saying that cows take the path of least resistance the majority of the time using logging roads and not wondering far off ckearcuts etc. If you dig a little deeper you may find areas with no cattle within a few hundred yards of heavy cattle trails .

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Respectfully, and I mean that sincerely, I believe your perspective is a bit skewed.

The ranching industry is responsible for many of the environmental degradations in B.C. Here are a few examples:

-overgrazing: I've personally witnessed many areas that when the cows leave there isn't enough grass left to feed a gopher. This occurs in prime winter range for moose and mule deer as well as high elevation areas that support (or used to support sheep)

I agree this does happen. To some extent on "sacrifice areas" on my own range. However, on my range, only 40% is grass and only 40% of that is not muskeg and unuseable. The sacrificial areas total less than 1/2% of usable grass here. I do see other areas that I shake my head at year after year and wonder why management hasn't changed. Overgrazing cost lbs too.

-degradation of water supplies: Again, I've personally witnessed riparian areas at the headwaters of creeks and rivers, trampled into oblivion, befouled with excrement and essentially unrecognizable from what they were before the cattle were allowed there. This occurs often at higher elevations where, in my opinion, grazing should not be allowed because of the destructive nature of cattle.

Again, have seen this. You may have noticed in some areas, waterways are being fenced through cost sharing programs. Here in the swamps there is water available everywhere so cattle don't continually hammer those areas.

-spread of noxious weeds: Anyone who has even an elementary knowlege of what constitutes "noxious" weeds can see that cattle are a major contributor to their spread. Knappweed, Canada thistle, Russian thistle, sulphur sancfoil. Milk thistle, and a host of others are now commonplace throughout most of the province. These weeds are introduced to new ranges through seeds attaching themselves to the coats on cattle or through their excrement.

Would make an educated guess that far more weeds are spread by wheeled or tracked vehicles than livestock. Very few people bother to wash the complete vehicle with every change of scenery.

These are just a few examples without getting into methane gas produced or the gazillions of cultivated acres necessary to feed the herds.

Methane gas is a non issue, there were far more ungulates before cattle arrive than there are now INCLUDING the cattle.

Not all ranchers are irresponsible abusers of public land but many are. The point of this post is not to slam ranchers but to point out that the ranching industry cannot reasonably take the moral high ground in this debate as stewards. They do but need to take some responsibility for the damage that's been caused.

Agreed, as do ALL users of Crown areas.

Anyway, don't take it personally. I enjoy your perspective and respect your opinions. I'm simply trying to inject some reality into this discussion.
    Not enough talent to add color to my observations. Nothing personal from my end either. Keep yer stick on the ice!

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    So while up at the cabin in early May, i noticed cows on the range on May 10th, was hardly a stick of green grass to be seen anywhere. So i asked what gives, answer we are out of hay and didn't want to buy more so we let them out!!
    If those cattle were out before that operation's turnout date without ok from the local Range Officer they were in contravention of the Forest and Range Act and were due a warning or fine. Did you report them?

There's been cows on the land in BC for 150 years they didn't make the game run away then and they don't now. I hunt a lot of cattle areas, mainly deer and I really can't see that the cows make a difference one way or the other. As said earlier they are a huge pain in the ass if you're running cameras. Last year I picked two spots about 50 kms apart that were way back in blow down no cattle sign where I picked. I don't know if it was the salt or what but both spots were found by cattle in about July and they flattened chest high logs to get to it and turned both areas into mud pits. Couldn't believe it. But hey, the deer were still around pretty much a first world problem...

Like anything though the range system isn't perfect I've seen wet lands and fish creeks trashed. Most of the time though I find it pretty well run. Most ranchers care a few don't.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    If those cattle were out before that operation's turnout date without ok from the local Range Officer they were in contravention of the Forest and Range Act and were due a warning or fine. Did you report them?
    I have 80 acres in the middle of the range, no i didnt report them if i wanted to have a cabin to come back too, what would your buddy Joe do if you reported him!!
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Lots of deer are shot in the cow pasture.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    As far as hunting where cows graze .... it's awesum because they mask your scent and any bush noise . I have walked up to numerous bucks at very close range when cows are in the area .
    You must SMELL - STINK really Badly ! RJ