Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: billy or nanny?

Re: billy or nanny?

I've seen quite a few solo nannys so doesn't mean much...I can't remember where I heard it but someone said" It's legal to loiter around schools and talk to 13 year old girls, doesn't mean it's right" LOL
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    Looks like different footage of different Goats.
    Would be wrong of me to say for sure......but the harvested one based on only what i can see or more cant see and not be able to zoom in etc etc looks like a Nanny.....my 2 scents ar ar.
    I’m only talking about the harvester goat, definitely different goats in the video.

That is a BIG nanny. Her face is really really long. Probably as old as she'd get. Let's all give the guide a bit of slack and trust that he was taking an old dry "doe" out of the herd. We don't know the whole story. Could be that this nanny was limping already from some RH's bullet. Guides generally do good for the resident herds...

Any one dedicated to hunt Goats must take all efforts possible to NOT shoot a Nanny. Many Nannys are the Leads of the group. Its these large Nannys that lead the youngins to summer and winter range etc.
    Still many have issues with not taking time to ID the Goat.
    When you study them enough or do your homework you can tell the difference.

Take your time. You certainly cant run up where the dominant Billys lurk.....so why hurry judgement of Sex . We owe it to them to correctly determine the Sex of the Goat.....just to have an opportunity to harvest one of these Magnificent animals.

Dont just shoot the 1st that comes along, dont shoot a suddenly appearing Goat because its legal. It can often be a Nanny.Do your due diligence to only harvest a Billy. Take your time. You owe it to the sustainability of the population. Dont shoot a goat in a group. Look for a Loner, usually in the toughest spot on the mountain. Watch how it urinates. Look for scent glands behind the horns. Long slowly curved horns with not much space between at the bases is a sign of a Bill. Rump patches are often dirtied up on the Bills. They look more off white to yellowy cream then pure white.

The only reason its legal to shoot a Nanny is because the gov usually would loose in court challenges because they are too simular looking. Specially to new Goat hunters.

Dont shoot a Nanny Period. Its just another reason to close the hunt.

IMO
    100%!

For anyone who is on the Instagram and wants to learn/learn more about distinguishing nanny’s from Billy’s, feel free to check out my page. A ton of cam videos to study, and quite a few nanny’s that lots would consider Billy’s. We as goat hunters owe it to the population to do our homework before pulling a trigger.

Looks like a nanny is some frames and a billy in others.

Any one dedicated to hunt Goats must take all efforts possible to NOT shoot a Nanny. Many Nannys are the Leads of the group. Its these large Nannys that lead the youngins to summer and winter range etc.
    Still many have issues with not taking time to ID the Goat.
    When you study them enough or do your homework you can tell the difference.

Take your time. You certainly cant run up where the dominant Billys lurk.....so why hurry judgement of Sex . We owe it to them to correctly determine the Sex of the Goat.....just to have an opportunity to harvest one of these Magnificent animals.

Dont just shoot the 1st that comes along, dont shoot a suddenly appearing Goat because its legal. It can often be a Nanny.Do your due diligence to only harvest a Billy. Take your time. You owe it to the sustainability of the population. Dont shoot a goat in a group. Look for a Loner, usually in the toughest spot on the mountain. Watch how it urinates. Look for scent glands behind the horns. Long slowly curved horns with not much space between at the bases is a sign of a Bill. Rump patches are often dirtied up on the Bills. They look more off white to yellowy cream then pure white.

The only reason its legal to shoot a Nanny is because the gov usually would loose in court challenges because they are too simular looking. Specially to new Goat hunters.

Dont shoot a Nanny Period. Its just another reason to close the hunt.

IMO
    X100 ... excellent post, Howard. Well said!!!