Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: billy or nanny?

billy or nanny?

Watch this video, not much to see until the shot so feel free to fast forward. I think this guy got guided to a nanny, what are your thoughts. bases look thin, curve on the horns is sharper and near the top, distinguished glands around the base of the horn. then on top of that lack of close ups on the goat after the recovery.

your thoughts? id be pissed if i paid big money for a goat and got guided to a nanny, but thats why you should know how to identify. I could be wrong though you dont get much time to see it in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-pmk1c_2j0

2. Site Sponsor

Re: billy or nanny?

looks like a nanny...solo goat and on the last day of the hunt so maybe not a piss off to the shooter

I guess but jeez I wouldn’t shoot a nanny even if I paid for it

320 nanny, 400 billy, 418 nanny, 504 nanny, some mixed footage I'd say, but the end result looks like a nanny alright.
    Last day kill, legal critter, hunter had a chance to make a choice IF the guide communicated that it was a nanny
    Outfitter should be pissed but ...
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

For sure I’m not getting into a legal or moral debate about it, just me personally I wouldn’t shoot one even if I paid for a goat hunt

Looks like a nanny. The fact they didn't put up any good profile, trophy, as it lays footage kinda gives the tell as well. Pissed off? Depends on the expectations of the client and the nanny/billy allocation if there was one. I bet the biologist on inspection would have given the outfitter the stink eye, though.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Looks like a billy to me. Lone animal, nanny's usually in a group, gentle horn curve and base of horn wider than the eye width.

guest Guest

Any one dedicated to hunt Goats must take all efforts possible to NOT shoot a Nanny. Many Nannys are the Leads of the group. Its these large Nannys that lead the youngins to summer and winter range etc.
    Still many have issues with not taking time to ID the Goat.
    When you study them enough or do your homework you can tell the difference.

Take your time. You certainly cant run up where the dominant Billys lurk.....so why hurry judgement of Sex . We owe it to them to correctly determine the Sex of the Goat.....just to have an opportunity to harvest one of these Magnificent animals.

Dont just shoot the 1st that comes along, dont shoot a suddenly appearing Goat because its legal. It can often be a Nanny.Do your due diligence to only harvest a Billy. Take your time. You owe it to the sustainability of the population. Dont shoot a goat in a group. Look for a Loner, usually in the toughest spot on the mountain. Watch how it urinates. Look for scent glands behind the horns. Long slowly curved horns with not much space between at the bases is a sign of a Bill. Rump patches are often dirtied up on the Bills. They look more off white to yellowy cream then pure white.

The only reason its legal to shoot a Nanny is because the gov usually would loose in court challenges because they are too simular looking. Specially to new Goat hunters.

Dont shoot a Nanny Period. Its just another reason to close the hunt.

IMO
    Last edited by guest; 07-05-2019 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added more

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    Any one dedicated to hunt Goats must take all efforts possible to NOT shoot a Nanny. Many Nannys are the Leads of the group. Still many have issues with not taking time to ID the Goat. When you study them enough or do your homework you can tell the difference.

Dont just shoot the 1st that comes along, dont shoot a suddenly appearing Goat because its legal. It can often be a Nanny.Do your due diligence to only harvest a Billy. Take your time. You owe it to the sustainability of the population. Dont shoot a goat in a group. Look for a Loner, usually in the toughest spot on the mountain. Watch how it urinates. Look for scent glands behind the horns. Long slowly curved horns with not much space between at the bases is a sign of a Bill. Rump patches are often dirtied up on the Bills. They look more off white to yellowy cream then pure white.
    The only reason its legal to shoot a Nanny is because the gov usually would loose in court challenges because they are simular looking.

Dont shoot a Nanny Period. Its just another reason to close the hunt.

IMO

I agree CT, your thoughts on that animal?

The edit job makes it look like the Billy at 4:00 was the one they shot. 4:18 is a different spot, different animal - and does look to be a Nanny.