Thread: Goat Winter Coat Timing

Goat Winter Coat Timing

Im going after a Kootenay goat this year. Just wondering how early they get their thick winter coats and whens the best time to go? I've saw goats in the area in October that looked good. But what about September? Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Goat Winter Coat Timing

I typically go late Oct or early Nov. That said I am going in Sept this year with my daughter, but that is to avoid the snow.
    KCCO

Depends, where in the koots? I’ve seen variation in capes between far north and far south. That being said, goats I’ve shot in R4 first couple days in Oct aren’t far off from a late Nov bill in the same area. Never shot a R4 goat in Sept tho... But it all boils down to the later the better as far as capes.

As for the best time to go. IME I’ve been most successful going earlier. You’ll climb higher but it’s less treacherous without snow. Hunting the rut in Nov is the best amount of fun though haha.

Yes hides are shorter in Sept, personally prefer the last 2 weeks of Nov, but depending on the area and year might not get in there if to much snow.
    If your just doing a head/shoulder mount you probable wont notice much difference from oct to nov
    Last edited by LBM; 07-04-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    I typically go late Oct or early Nov. That said I am going in Sept this year with my daughter, but that is to avoid the snow.
    That sounds like it will be a cool hunt, good luck to your daughter.

Cool thanks for the input.

Few yrs ago my son shot his goat on oct 5 and I shot mine on nov 20, goats died 100yrds apart. Huge difference in hides. Tags were for 4-23b