Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod and Reel for Sturgeon

Rod and Reel for Sturgeon

What you ALL using for Sturgeon Fishing rod and reel ? - Max 300 $ to spend - I have a BRAND new Garcia 7000 reel in the drawer - maybe just load it up with 125 lb braided or ?? BUT still will need a Good Rod ! Thks RJ

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rod and Reel for Sturgeon

I'm using 2 amundson sturgeon rod with two Shimano TLD 20s and 150 lb power braid

I watched craigslist and ended up picking up some 8'shimano techniums and shimano tld 20s with 150lb braid for $200...buddy of mine just picked up 7 foot penn rods and penn squall 40lds with braid at Cabelas for $250 per set up...
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

for me it depends if you are shore fishing or fishing from a boat. The shimano technums are a nice rod from a boat, and the TLD reels are great. If you are fishing from shore I like a 12' ugly stick rod and a smooth casting penn squall reel.

From the boat I use a shimano technium 8 ' rod its one piece and a penn squall 50ld reel. The reel I really like it.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

I have a similar reel (6601) with a MH ugly stick. I like 50 lb line. It’s proven itself with sturgeon.

I watched my dad catch a 6 1/2 footer on a 7000 once. while he did manage to land it, he quit using it after that trip, no where near enough drag. We fish off shore, I run a 12' ugly stick bigwater rod, penn fathom 40 lever drag reel, and 150lb tufline. You could go with a penn squall reel, and save $100 or a little more.

Things sure have become fancy compared to when I used a halibut rod and a mooching reel to catch sturgeon

Really need to think about how often you are going to use the set up and what you need to meet your style of fishing. Lots of options to get the job done. A good penn reel and a rod with some back bone combined with a light tip odds are you will be happy

A knuckle buster on sturgeon can still be fun from a boat but I bet most won’t recommend or use them

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    I watched craigslist and ended up picking up some 8'shimano techniums and shimano tld 20s with 150lb braid for $200...buddy of mine just picked up 7 foot penn rods and penn squall 40lds with braid at Cabelas for $250 per set up...
    +1

Same as my set up... Although I have one tld 25 and a 20. I like the extra capacity on the 25...

Quote Originally Posted by Goretzky View Post
    I watched my dad catch a 6 1/2 footer on a 7000 once. while he did manage to land it, he quit using it after that trip, no where near enough drag. We fish off shore, I run a 12' ugly stick bigwater rod, penn fathom 40 lever drag reel, and 150lb tufline. You could go with a penn squall reel, and save $100 or a little more.
    You listen to this guy about fishing. Angling Super Genius ^
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004