Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best book for mountain hunt

Best book for mountain hunt

Hey all

I’m going on a 10 day backpack sheep hunt in a month. Anyone have a recommendation for a good soft cover book to bring. If the weather is really bad may have some time to read. Looking for something hunting or mountain related.

thanks
    jac

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best book for mountain hunt

Don't disregard this book just because you may not follow it's beliefs or teachings, but I pack a really small version of the bible, new testament and psalms. It is really compact, and has a lot of wisdom and insight in there about life, etc. What better place to read a book about life and death than in God's country. No better place/time in the world than on a Sheep Hunt to think about such things. My 2 cents

"Grizzlies In Their Backyard"

By Beth Day.

About a couple who moved from Seattle to the BC Coast and hand logged, hunted, fished,trapped. Amazing story, those people were tough as nails.

Bad weather or not I would be spending my time glassing looking and hunting. A small tarp and a little fire can keep you at it. I am always to busy to read while hunting.

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Never packed an actual book, but have downloaded the Bible to my phone. An isolated mountain hunt away from all of life's distractions seems to put things in perspective and draw out the deeper purpose of our lives here on earth.

A book is a great idea, I'm an avid reader and would take something light weight, with smaller print so itwould last longer. I've spent as much as 36hrs straight in a tent on a mountain because of rain/fog.

Not to worried about the rain but if we get fogged in not much point glassing 150 feet away. Hopefully don’t have time to read just don’t want to sit under the tarp all day wishing I had something. We also have a light weight crib board which we really like

Any of the Stoics would be good reading up there. Lots of time for contemplation while you glass.

I read my first Wilbur Smith novel while on a snowy sheep hunt. Good entertaining reads for tent bound days. We got a nice 39” ram on that hunt. Lots of time for reading and glassing.