Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wall tents

Re: Wall tents

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    What's the story on the "welders blankets"?
    I assume he’s hanging them between the tent wall and wood stove to protect the canvas against the heat radiating from the stove? I was wondering the same thing.

I had thought of using a presto-log, at least for the first night, but never did. On the other hand I've used BBQ starter bricks . I sat my tin airtight on a stand I welded instead of the wonky legs that come with them. The same stand for three of them. You do have to clear the area under them, grass etc

A canvas wall tent has to be packed dry. Which ,even in good weather, means no dew. Most often that means coming home and hanging the tent to dry .Packing up by myself got to be too much for an old phart like me, I use a camper, now.

The packing up dry is one of my biggest concerns. That's one aspect where the advantage definitely goes to a trailer or camper.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    The packing up dry is one of my biggest concerns. That's one aspect where the advantage definitely goes to a trailer or camper.
    Depends where you live. At the coast in a wetter climate you will almost never avoid mold. In the interior, I never worry about the tent. I've packed up wet, in the snow, ice. It isn't going to dry from December to February. I leave it in the trailer rolled up. Pull it out in the spring and air it out. Never a problem.

Regarding cooler temperatures and the stove. Once our stove is lit, it never goes out. Damp it down and find the right wood and the right air flow to keep it burning.

I dont think drying it is a deal breaker as I have a garage but it's just one more element to consider.

My wall tent got absolutely soaked last year and was packed away wet for the long drive home.
    When i got home I stretched it out in my garage and put a stand up fan on it and just kept flipping it over a few days and it dried out just fine. First sunny/dry day ut got dragged out onto the driveway and set to soak in the sun all day, brushed off and then rolled up and away.
    Getting them wet is a non issue as long as you do your part when you get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    I assume he’s hanging them between the tent wall and wood stove to protect the canvas against the heat radiating from the stove? I was wondering the same thing.
    As Nog would say; AYUP! We hang a welders blanket from the frame along the wall in the corner the stove is in to protect the canvas from getting browned and we also put one underneath the stove to protect the floor too.

Didn't work so well this past fall when it started dropping to -15C overnight and we had the stove going HOT.. we still managed to melt a hole through the bottom of the floor underneath the welders blanket and scorched the grass too. My theory was the grass/organics acted as a heat sink and got too hot, whereas in year's prior we were over gravel/sand and this dissipated heat better. But I'm not sure, just know we have a 3 foot hole to patch in the floor now ><

For a stove I use a small airtight and I used to use a tarp for the floor but the ground would never dry underneath and moisture seemed to always seep through. Now we use bare ground for a floor and after a couple days of using the stove the ground completely drys out. We use a few carpet matts by our cots and chairs so we don't have to stand on bare ground in socks or barefeet.

Deluxe wall tent, 30 minute for setup