Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wall tents

Re: Wall tents

We have a 12x14 Northwest Shelter and takes about 25-30mins with internal frame, 5’ porch, full floor and fly with 2 people.(not busting our ass either) Stove and other goodies take a little longer. Super comfy and enjoyable when a rain storm hits.(as long as you’re on a high spot ) We’ve had 4 people stay in it for 2 weeks without any room constraints or complaints. First tent I ever stayed in was an old military canvas when I was 4. Something about those canvas tents gets in your blood and you never want to be without one.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    We have a 12x14 Northwest Shelter and takes about 25-30mins with internal frame, 5’ porch, full floor and fly with 2 people.(not busting our ass either) Stove and other goodies take a little longer. Super comfy and enjoyable when a rain storm hits.(as long as you’re on a high spot ) We’ve had 4 people stay in it for 2 weeks without any room constraints or complaints. First tent I ever stayed in was an old military canvas when I was 4. Something about those canvas tents gets in your blood and you never want to be without one.
    don't forget to dig the ditches on the upslope side to keep the rivers out of the tent

We've had a 14x16 wall tent with 5 foot porch (Northwest) now for 3 seasons and it's been a game changer for comfort and space.

I think it *could* be set up with 1 guy, but 2 guys makes for fast setup - we have the frame and canvas up in less than 45 minutes with 2 guys. It takes longer to set up the inside of the tent (cots, welder's blankets, wood stove, chairs, table, etc) and then taking the tent DOWN and properly folding and stowing the canvas away in its bag is where we do most of our swearing and hand wringing.

Good luck with your decision!

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Hi
    I am considering picking up a wall tent but I had a couple questions for the more experienced.
    On average how long does set up take? I know it's a vague question as there are a bunch of different sizes and styles.
    Is set up something that 1 guy can do or is a second person needed?
    Where is a good place to get a tent? Is it worth shopping around for a used one or do they wear out quickly?
    Thanks in advance for any guidance
    Set up really depends on how extravagant you want your camp to be. According to my fit bit, repeated solo camp set ups takes around 16,000 steps. I have a very extravagant camp.
    Time to set up the 12 x 14 wall tent solo, tarp on, cots and sleeping bags in, stove in, fire on, kitchen set up 2 to 3 hours.

Depending on the camp, I have an extra room I add on the front, making the overall length of the 'long house' 32 feet long, and a 20 x 20 framed tarp over chillin area.
    Takes me another 1-2 hours to lay out the electrical, as I run solar power on 4 circuits for camp.

Don't rush it, plan it well, do it well and enjoy quality accommodation during the hunt. The tent is just the start. Buy a cargo trailer.

We have used a 12 x 14 and a 14 by 16. I recomend the 12 by 14 its a little easier to find a spot without roots and rocks sticking up. I don't think they really where out that fast.

I'm an old phart, by myself I could set up in a couple of hours. In my younger days with someone who knew what we were doing, the time was in the range of a family tent. My tent had an internal frame of EMT and 1 1/2" tubing connects which I made myself. As the tent got older it, the waterproofing didn't work that well, so I tarped. I used 12" spikes as tent pegs, I made PVC washers so they didn't pull through. When you tarp use Princess Auto's heavy silver tarps and the ball ended bungee cord for shock absorbing during wind storms. Fall hunting season is always windy it seems. A piece of indoor/outdoor carpet makes for a nice floor.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    don't forget to dig the ditches on the upslope side to keep the rivers out of the tent
    We were camping in Castlegar on flat ground when a nasty storm blew and dropped inches of rain down in half an hour. No water in the tent, but under the floor we could have fished the stream for some trout.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    We were camping in Castlegar on flat ground when a nasty storm blew and dropped inches of rain down in half an hour. No water in the tent, but under the floor we could have fished the stream for some trout.
    Been there..... squishy floors.

These last two posts remind me and I can't agree enough. Always always always, when using a tarp, every tie down needs to start with a good bungy cord. Bungies keep everything tight but offer give to the prevailing storm.
    Last edited by J_T; 07-09-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Anyone ever try a presto log overnight?
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson017 View Post
    We've had a 14x16 wall tent with 5 foot porch (Northwest) now for 3 seasons and it's been a game changer for comfort and space.

I think it *could* be set up with 1 guy, but 2 guys makes for fast setup - we have the frame and canvas up in less than 45 minutes with 2 guys. It takes longer to set up the inside of the tent (cots, welder's blankets, wood stove, chairs, table, etc) and then taking the tent DOWN and properly folding and stowing the canvas away in its bag is where we do most of our swearing and hand wringing.

Good luck with your decision!
    What's the story on the "welders blankets"?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.