Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Locations Year after Year

Sheep Locations Year after Year

I have been on 3 different sheep hunts over the past 2 years and have spent a total of 26 days in the mountains hunting stone sheep. This coming fall will be the first year that I have gone back to the same place as a previous hunt. Last year we saw 4 different 7 year old's on our hunt and we are planning basically the same hunt covering the same ground at the same time of year as last year. I am not expecting to exactly see the same rams just one year older, but I have heard that sheep hang in the same areas year after year. Those of you who have hunted in the same places year after year do you ever see the same sheep twice? Do sheep tend to be on the same slopes/general areas?

Would love to hear about your experiences!

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sheep Locations Year after Year

My hunting partner and I went through this a few times. He always liked new ground, My preference was to go back to areas that we found that held rams.

If you find rams, chances are good they will still be around that area year after year. My partners ram I had a hundred pics of the year before when he was a 7 yr old, and about 1/32” over the bridge. The next year he was clearly legal and died less than 100 yards from where I had 3 days of pics of him.

My ram was one we had seen 2 years before I think, in the same spot. Year after year, the same
    places will hold rams.

For sure they will. It also seems they will hold lots of 7 year old rams every year.

There like Sheep.LOL

yup one old ewe we called uni as she had one horn we saw her 10years later...same spot.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    My hunting partner and I went through this a few times. He always liked new ground, My preference was to go back to areas that we found that held rams.

If you find rams, chances are good they will still be around that area year after year. My partners ram I had a hundred pics of the year before when he was a 7 yr old, and about 1/32” over the bridge. The next year he was clearly legal and died less than 100 yards from where I had 3 days of pics of him.

My ram was one we had seen 2 years before I think, in the same spot. Year after year, the same
    places will hold rams.

Thanks for sharing, cool how the same places worked out for both of your rams. Would love to see a pic of your buddy’s ram at 7 and then at 8.

This holds true for all animals. There are pockets that predictably hold animals year after year. I hunt a 5 km stretch of power line and i know the several 200m sections where i have seen 90% of the game.

very true...pockets produce year after year.

I am counting on it. Heading in again this year to the same place where I got my sheep last year.

Quote Originally Posted by cuervosail View Post
    I am counting on it. Heading in again this year to the same place where I got my sheep last year.
    He won't be there this year, fyi