Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4-23 Moose numbers and Hunting

4-23 Moose numbers and Hunting

Hey Guys

Just got a text from my cousin, and they were wondering if I wanted to come help them with a moose draw they just found out they drew. (Oct15- Nov15).

They got drawn for 4-23A (north end of 4-23). I have hunted the area a few times and they are from Cranbrook and have taken a moose in that area about 6 years ago (I know very lucky with the LEH gods).
    I just looked at the draw in the regs and noticed they only gave out two tags where as Zone B has about a dozen tags available. My question is, why is Zone A so much lower? My cousin says there are a ton of moose but they have not been up there for about 4 years. Have the wolves hammered the moose population?

I know I had moose draw here around Kamloops a few years ago and talking to the bio he said the wolves hammered the moose population. He said in some areas they only gave out one tag. He would have preferred to close the season but then when you want to re open it you have to go to Victoria for permission. By giving out 1 tag, they can increase the tag numbers when populations get better without having to ask Victoria.
    So how are the moose population doing in 4-23A.

Thanks,

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 4-23 Moose numbers and Hunting

I see last year they gave out 32 tags. I assume the numbers are down the toilet as in the rest of BC.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Tell them that their in for an extremely tough hunt due to moose numbers being way down.

I been out there a handful of times and only seen one big bull amongst a herd of elk and they were deep on the mine property.

Good luck.

The big drop of tags in one year could be due to over harvest the year before, do you have any of the allocation numbers from years past.
    havent been there for awhile but sure use to be a great place for moose. They may have done some counts down that way this year
    I no they were flying down that way but don't no if they were counting moose.

Call the regional bio in Cranbrook. Probably a good source to answer some of the questions you have.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    The big drop of tags in one year could be due to over harvest the year before, do you have any of the allocation numbers from years past.
    havent been there for awhile but sure use to be a great place for moose. They may have done some counts down that way this year
    I no they were flying down that way but don't no if they were counting moose.
    Over harvest??? Didn’t know wolves and bears had a quota. I have lived in elkford my entire life and primarily hunt the area in question. Everyone I know that hunts around Elkford has said the same thing.......seeing a moose is rare. I talked to a few middle aged valley locals( Sparwood )who had tags last yr and they only seen a few cows. A good friend also had a tag last yr. I spent a few days leap frogging from high glassing spots hoping to see moose in the open meadows in the valley bottom but came up empty. My friend spent most of the rifle season looking for moose and only seen a handful of moose with only 1 being a very small bull.
    Last edited by j270wsm; 07-02-2019 at 11:32 PM.

Hmmm iF its like here? The number of tags got shit kicked big time...however east of the Fraser river most moose sign in 20 years in places..
    Sad to hear numbers are down in your area..
    You dont need 500 moose for a successful hunt..only 1.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    Over harvest??? Didn’t know wolves and bears had a quota. I have lived in elkford my entire life and primarily hunt the area in question. Everyone I know that hunts around Elkford has said the same thing.......seeing a moose is rare. I talked to a few middle aged valley locals( Sparwood )who had tags last yr and they only seen a few cows. A good friend also had a tag last yr. I spent a few days leap frogging from high glassing spots hoping to see moose in the open meadows in the valley bottom but came up empty. My friend spent most of the rifle season looking for moose and only seen a handful of moose with only 1 being a very small bull.
    Calm down and read slowly. To bad your friend didn't get his moose, but others did.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Calm down and read slowly. To bad your friend didn't get his moose, but others did.
    Stop writing your anti-hunting garbage.

And learn the meaning of "no" and "know".