Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vest for Lab

Vest for Lab

Do you guys use a vest on your dogs when hunting waterfowl?

The vast majority of my dogs working life will take place hunting salt water from layouts blinds or layout boat.

My lab is about 70#, short and stocky. Be nice to have something to maybe help keep her warm and offer a bit of chest protection.

Any products that you guys would recommend, or stay away from? Or do you not use them at all?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Vest for Lab

All neoprene vests are made for retrievers so you won't ever have to modify them so that's a bonus for you. I bought a couple in 3 and 5mm thickness and modified them to fit my smaller chested, pencil neck versatile. LOL There's a number of good ones available that will fit your dog. They definitely keep the dog a lot more comfortable in the winter months. Mine of both are made by a company called Banded. Avery is a good one, as well. I didn't like the Browning which was too short and didn't give as much coverage on the body.

0-44 by Brent Davy, on Flickr
    Last edited by mastercaster; 07-02-2019 at 11:50 AM.

I use a vest when its around freezing and in water. Rarely to never in a field. I also bring a few towels and a matt and dry to drive her off when she comes in and has a warm spot to chill and wait.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    I use a vest when its around freezing and in water. Rarely to never in a field. I also bring a few towels and a matt and dry to drive her off when she comes in and has a warm spot to chill and wait.

Lorne
    Done the towel thing as well. I also find if you give them little bits of food during the hunt it helps to keep them warm, too. I've often wondered if you could a couple of those hand warmers under the vest to help keep them warm on those icy cold water days that are windy. I don't think they'd burn the skin because I always have them against my skin without any issues while hunting and fishing at that time of the year.

Hand warmers DO NOT mix with water, they will cause chemical burns. They are oxygen activated, ive seen burns on people from them without the water when people are numb and cant feel the heat. A good neoprene vest will do wonders in the cold wet weather as dogs produce lot of heat but cant hold it in, my lab wont be wet at all under her vest when I take it off, she will break through thin ice on retrieves and be steaming after. Look into the reviews of vests, full neoprene are better than the tough cotton/neoprene ones. Id recommend a the Avery sporting dog boaters parka if you are in salt water which can be quite cold and windy in a layout boat. Thick neoprene all round, briefcase grab handles that support the dogs weigh when I lift her in the boat and very well made. I just went to look at it in the closet, unzipped it from the hanger and my lil lady came running, she knows it means fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    Hand warmers DO NOT mix with water, they will cause chemical burns. They are oxygen activated, ive seen burns on people from them without the water when people are numb and cant feel the heat.
    Good to know about the hand warmers. Thanks for the info!

I tried a couple vests and the browning one actually fits my pup the best.

How tight should the vest fit? I assume the fit should be very snug. I can push my hand in between her body and the vest, but its quite snug, but I think this is ok? Much looser and I question the vests effectiveness at maintaing warmth, or worse, catching water and creating drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I tried a couple vests and the browning one actually fits my pup the best.

How tight should the vest fit? I assume the fit should be very snug. I can push my hand in between her body and the vest, but its quite snug, but I think this is ok? Much looser and I question the vests effectiveness at maintaing warmth, or worse, catching water and creating drag.
    Ron, Snug is definitely best. Any looseness can be cured by cutting the neoprene and gluing it back together with neoprene cement or aqua seal.

Most looseness occurs around the front legs and around the waste area.

It hurts cutting into a brand brand new vest but Jessie will be much happier ( warmer and comfortable) with a proper fit.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Rather than regular toweling for drying off the dog, pick up a Dogsorber or similar chamois like towel at CDN Tire as they will really dry a dog off quicker than a regular towel.

As well, check out the SUGAR coat - it is a gortex cape with either a fleece or wool liner. It has a D-ring on the back edge so it can be staked out and a magnetic closure on the front so the dog can "break out" to make a retrieve. Liner is removable so can be used in warmer temps as a wind breaker.

https://youtu.be/x1AZQgH1O18
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

That sugar coat is a fantastic idea!

I think Molly will enjoy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Creek View Post
    Rather than regular toweling for drying off the dog, pick up a Dogsorber or similar chamois like towel at CDN Tire as they will really dry a dog off quicker than a regular towel.

As well, check out the SUGAR coat - it is a gortex cape with either a fleece or wool liner. It has a D-ring on the back edge so it can be staked out and a magnetic closure on the front so the dog can "break out" to make a retrieve. Liner is removable so can be used in warmer temps as a wind breaker.

https://youtu.be/x1AZQgH1O18