Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my technique bad?

Is my technique bad?

I am just getting into archery and am shooing consistent groups but high and to the left, while holding on bullseye. I am at most 15 yards away from a foam block target. I am thinking about taking a lesson or two to hopefully point out all the weak areas as I'm sure they are mostly weak areas lol. I went into an archery store that has a range in it in kelowna and the owner was kind enough to watch me shoot a few arrows to check my draw length. He pointed out weak areas right away. I move slightly when I release and am not still enough. Could this be it? My first few shots are within 1 or 2 inches of bullseye at 15 yards but everything after is like 4 or 5 inches high and to the left. I know it's hard to give me advice without seeing me physically shoot but I am hoping for some pointers that I can try to practice and implement on my own.
    Last edited by Big Chris; 07-01-2019 at 07:48 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Is my technique bad?

Sounds like form likely punching the trigger and dropping your arm but without seeing you shoot it’s only a guess.

If you’re a lefty it could be punching the trigger and gripping the bow rather than keeping an open hand

Sounds like form issues either way but it’s hard to pick out what without seeing you shoot

I was slapping trigger before I try to let it happen slowly. And I am a righty. I hold the bow with my left, open fingers.

I take it this is with a long bow or recurve with no sight. If it was a compound with sight, just adjust the pins up and left a little......if not that then my guess is your grip on the bow and twisting it slightly on release of the arrow. Good luck and keep practicing!

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorse View Post
    I take it this is with a long bow or recurve with no sight. If it was a compound with sight, just adjust the pins up and left a little......if not that then my guess is your grip on the bow and twisting it slightly on release of the arrow. Good luck and keep practicing!
    I wish I could say it was a recurve Haha. I'm shooting a bowtech admiral . The archery store owner noticed that one of my cams was leaning slightly too. Not much, but it was leaning.

Best bet is have an experienced knowledgeable archer to watch you shoot so they can pick apart you’re form.

The fact you’re first couple shots are on point I am betting form issues. Possibly your draw weight is a little high and you’re stabilizer muscles lack stamina as well. Could be you just get sloppy and fall back into punching the trigger

In the end no one can give you perfect advice without seeing you shoot so trust me go get someone knowledgeable to what your form when you shoot

sounds like your grouping...move your pins to bullseye...thats how us simple folk do it...once you aim for your own knock and keep grouping a Quarter inch high and right once the third arrow sent breaks your first one sent you will know its tuned.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to book a lesson and I'm sure it will help tons. At least give me a lot to practice.

High left for a right handed shooter can often indicate a case of "took-a-look".....which is to say...lifting your head out of the shot so you can watch the arrow fly. Try focusing on watching the arrow flight through your pins.
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

You state "consistent groups but high and to the left, while holding on bullseye".

Well you want your consistent groups to be sighted in... So adjust your sights

... and your inconsistent groups will then be low and to the right.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool