Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What’s everyone’s hunting setup?

Re: What’s everyone’s hunting setup?

Like Gate I have climbed to the alpine and slept under a tarp. I've also brought a minimal one man tent and for backpacking to the alpine.

Normally I just live out of the back of my truck and sleep in the canopy. On longer trips I'll set up a tent so I can use the truck to get around. I got an old wall tent last year and set it up for a 10-day moose hunt. It has no stove yet but I don't anticipate camping out in November. Not this year anyway.

Hunted with a buddy with health issues and we motel camped it. With no kitchenette you should have seen how I cooked including boiling eggs inside the kettle.

So it depends on the situation.

Last edited by MichelD; 07-04-2019 at 10:34 AM.

This is the first camper I have built for myself, its 8ft, no fridge or furnace, it will have an stove/oven, wood heater, led lighting. Everything is reclaimed from other campers I have owned and destroyed, it has no tin and is all plywood, adding stuff as I go.
    I like a camper as I can pack up and move in 10 minutes, warm and dry, I think this one will work on a 1/2 ton truck weight wise but I will be packing it on a 1 ton.

we do standing camp with my partners' stuff mostly...we set up a home made tepee with a woodstove inside and a wall tent attached to the entrance to act as kitchen/livingroom...we also have a camper we take off the pickup set up for our senior partner. The cargo trailer has a quad, a geny and freezer among other miscellaneous stuff

This year will be different as we had a 96 ford f150 4x4 with a 6" lift that we got rid of this year. This truck took us any place we wanted to go. We used to sleep in the back under the canopy. Kind of rough but I really liked it. Drove found a spot and get out and walk or set up camp and go. So easy.
    Now this year we are taking the dodge truck and found out the camperette does fit on this truck. We used the camperette a few times on the ford.
    So it will be different as we will not be going to our usual spots to go hunting as some of those spots were pretty crappy to get into.
    The camperette will be good if it rains. But still I liked sleeping in the canopy. So more walking.
    Or besides that I get to sleep in my own bed as we will be doing more region 2 hunts just day trips closer to home.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Being readily mobile goes a long ways for success!

Quote Originally Posted by nature girl View Post
    This year will be different as we had a 96 ford f150 4x4 with a 6" lift that we got rid of this year. This truck took us any place we wanted to go. We used to sleep in the back under the canopy. Kind of rough but I really liked it. Drove found a spot and get out and walk or set up camp and go. So easy.
    Now this year we are taking the dodge truck and found out the camperette does fit on this truck. We used the camperette a few times on the ford.
    So it will be different as we will not be going to our usual spots to go hunting as some of those spots were pretty crappy to get into.
    The camperette will be good if it rains. But still I liked sleeping in the canopy. So more walking.
    Or besides that I get to sleep in my own bed as we will be doing more region 2 hunts just day trips closer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    We usually stay in motels, but have a 12×14 wall tent and new Pioneer diesel heater I hope to begin using.

Also, older ranger and new utility trailer. No atv.
    I’d be interested to know how your diesel heater works out. I assume it would save a lot of time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    First of all great thread. Second of all sounds like you have a good set up! Get that quad and trailer you won’t regret it!
    Thank you been looking lots lately

This thread has got the gears turning in my head.
    I usually sleep in the canopy of my truck. It is comfortable and dry for sleeping. I put the tail gate down to cook on. It has some drawbacks though. It's very difficult to dry out boots and clothes. When cooking on the tailgate rain and snow often blow onto my sleeping bag. On the other hand there is no set up or take down of camp.

I also hunt out of my cabin which is nice. Running water and a furnace are wonderful things but my place doesnt have the greatest hunting so it's a trade off.

Under the canopy on my 1 ton, or on the floor in the back seat of the same truck if I have a bike or boat in the back.
    The backseat folds flat in my 4runner, and I have spent a lot of nights back there.
    Either truck, I use a 10x10 easy up shelter with a folding table, and a lantern hung from the middle for a cook shack.
    I have an MSR elixir 2 I'll be trying out this year for a small tent.
    I'd like to get a wall tent this year or next.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

2016 Ram diesel crew cab, Northern light camper, jet boat, quad
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke