Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s everyone’s hunting setup?

Re: What’s everyone’s hunting setup?

My first camper around 1970 was an Alaskan. Never had to remove it-only lower it to canopy level. Before that it was tenting or sleeping in vehicles.

The moose above-used the 308 Norma-north of Nation Lakes
    Same moose as above. The camper below (1984) in the Gang area was my third one.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

12x14 deluxe walltent with wood stove.

When flying solo, I camp in my truck canopy, can even fit a cot in there. I also own a 11'6" Stryker inflatable I bring if I can camp on a lake. Hubba nx2 for backpacking trips

It's a different thing for a different hunt.

Lots of hunts have been what you carry in your pack and start hiking, so a light tent is nice and I've slept many nights under just tarps- blue tarps and high tech tarps included.

Horseback hunts are similar but the more horses, the more stuff you can take...

I also spent lots of time hunting with a camper on my truck, but it was mostly when I could get to town every few days.

In my opinion, the wall tent is the king of cold weather hunting camps. A couple of days in a regular tent, a camper trailer or camper on a truck is fine in the cold, but nothing beats firing up a wood stove in a wall tent.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    Thought I’d switch it up from all the LEH questions. What’s everyone’s hunting setup for being in the bush? Either renting, camper , trailer etc. Just curious to why you chose your particular setup and why you like it?

Myself i I have a truck camper that I take with me. Just a basic unit , keeps me dry and warm with a pellet stove inside. I like that I can pretty much get anywhere with it , take off truck if I want to “road hunt” or explore new terrain. Tried adding a picture but said I couldn’t there was an error.

One thing id like to add or improve is the ability to take an ATV with me. Right now I spot and stalk hunt, so truck is base camp and hike from there. An ATV for myself would open up a lot more terrain to explore and better my chances when out hunting. So I would like to purchase a small trailer and atv in the near future to take with me on hunts.

So just interested in hearing everyone else's setup and what they like about it when hunting

First of all great thread. Second of all sounds like you have a good set up! Get that quad and trailer you won’t regret it!

I use a 12x14 wall tent with wood stove, a camper on a 4x4 truck, light weight backpack dome tent and sometimes just sleep in the river boat...depends on what I'm hunting for and where I'm going.

The big hunts I've got a 12x14 Deluxe Wall tent with an additional 8' room sewn to it with a frame. We can open the interior door right up and make the living space really big, or use the front room for cooking and storage. Shorter hunts I sleep on a single mattress the back of my F350 with a canopy. Mountain hunts I have Kuiu Summit Shelter and may add the stove before it's too cold this fall.

I just acquired a 10x12 wall tent with frame. Will be using that from this point fwd for main camp.

When I'm out for overnight spike out or backpack hunting, go with my backpacking gear. We always have out backpack bags ready to go in the truck. Been more than a few occasions when we just stayed where we were at the end of the day to avoid a lengthy drive to and from main camp. "Usually happens when we spot a goat or elk we want to get up and at real early.

I will also when the situation suits it, just sleep in the box of the truck.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-02-2019 at 07:47 AM.

You can't beat a wall tent with a stove. If its cold or wet this keeps you comfortable, drying out everything everyday. I have a trailer that I use for the hot dry easy access hunts, I have 2 different sized wall tents for most of our fall hunts and group size.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

16ft cargo trailer with wall hung bed and lots of clothes hanging places. This allows me to take the ATV and dirt bike. Set up next to trailer is wall tent for conversation and cooking.
    Resident Hunter

Coleman tent and lots of firewood. SUV with a trailer and ATV to get into remote areas and to haul back game. If it's cold, we take the rocks around the fire and put them on a cement board in the tent to take the chill out. Good sleeping bag and a hot water bottle helps. Will look at a wall tent or tent trailer at some point.