Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Burn part II: One last shot

Re: The Burn part II: One last shot

Way to get it done, congrats on a nice bear....

Quote Originally Posted by 45freezer View Post
    I can see both perspectives...I assume you mean the one in the field as its the exact same meat sitting on tyvek at my house and that one is fine by any standard. I do realize there are reactionary people out there and as usual would hate to contribute in any way to a negative image...that said I've been using that photo as a bit of a test of non hunter sensitivity, have had quite a few non hunters ask to see photos of the bear and that's the first one I show them...not just because it's the best representation of an animal I'm proud of and I would hate to censor what I consider a critical part of the hunt for a less experienced hunter than yourself that may not know what they're in for shooting something away from the road in an attempt to appease the unappeasable...but also to gauge their reaction. Not even a cringe so far, I think most people are a lot less sensitive than the vocal minority leads us to believe. I sent that to my vegetarian buddy and he loved it, I think instead of hiding what we do because of that vocal minority we just need to do a better job at getting involved with changing public perception in a positive way. I'm currently working on a short film about the nuance of bear/predator hunting to help offer a counter voice to the idiots trying to have hunts managed based on emotion, I also think I provided plenty of context in regards to why he's being disassembled but if that is still distasteful then I stand corrected and apologize.
    I didnt mean to come across as insulted. No need to apologize. Over the years the site has received less and less gore in pics. I think that's a good thing. People used to post head-shot does with eyes popped out and stuff like that. Its faded away by a long shot over the years.

My own observation shows the less red in a pic the better. While your friends may have loved the pic I think the general public on social media would better appreciate a bear skinned out, hair up, next to a big game bag full of meat, versus a bear skinned out hair down next to a pile of bloody meat and intestines.

My experience is based on Instagram and the kinds of pictures that are being flagged as offensive and inappropriate and removed by Instagram as a result.

Anti hunters that frequent this site love saving pics like that and using them in their propaganda.

Again, congrats on a great hunt!

My fav part was”it took 15-20 min to find” lol

congrats. Good on ya dad

Definitely will not qualify for the Jack Webster Award for being succinct.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Epic story

guest Guest

Great post thread and video.
    Good on you and your young hunter.
    Great to see.

Starting out with the grouse scare and then you teaching your son them him explaining morals to your girl is priceless.. looks like you have learnt really well and will continue to learn with your son learning..(awesome)

Enjoy your smoked meat.,. if you put half the effort into smoking the meat as you did this great write up it will be amazing...

Great job and thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I didnt mean to come across as insulted. No need to apologize. Over the years the site has received less and less gore in pics. I think that's a good thing. People used to post head-shot does with eyes popped out and stuff like that. Its faded away by a long shot over the years.

My own observation shows the less red in a pic the better. While your friends may have loved the pic I think the general public on social media would better appreciate a bear skinned out, hair up, next to a big game bag full of meat, versus a bear skinned out hair down next to a pile of bloody meat and intestines.

My experience is based on Instagram and the kinds of pictures that are being flagged as offensive and inappropriate and removed by Instagram as a result.

Anti hunters that frequent this site love saving pics like that and using them in their propaganda.

Again, congrats on a great hunt!
    That is a good thing in my opinion as well and there are certainly pictures I've chose not to post on here for that exact reason. I think the photo heavy write ups in general have slowed down quite a bit though even in the short time I've been lurking here, I always get excited whenever a good one pops up but they seem to be few and far between these days...I do wonder if it has to do with a fear of the hypothetical anti-hunter and potential tsk tsks from other members. I know they do exist and the tactics they like to use against us and like I said would hate to ever contribute to that...I do love the fact that if someone has a hunting related question I can often just tell them to google it followed by hunting bc or link them to a write up without them having to make an account, I have wondered why the mainland forum is public though (as opposed to the island forum) if this is apparently where some of this propaganda is coming from. Will play it safe and stick to landscapes and berries in the future, nobody can propagandize those!
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    My fav part was”it took 15-20 min to find” lol

congrats. Good on ya dad
    Time flies when you're having fun right? That one will always make me laugh, happy we captured some of those moments.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Definitely will not qualify for the Jack Webster Award for being succinct.
    Yup, could have just put "bear down" but what fun is that right?