Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Burn part II: One last shot

Re: The Burn part II: One last shot

Congrats on a great hunt!!

Not sure that pic of the disassembled bear was a tasteful one to post though....

Great story and video

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

Not sure that pic of the disassembled bear was a tasteful one to post though....
    Anyone that's gonna condemn him for hanging a picture of a butchered bear to feed his family, would have already condemned him for hunting it in the first place.

I don't find it any more distasteful than the meat department in Save-On.

Quote Originally Posted by 45freezer View Post
    Don't knock it until you try it, no idea if it's a thing but I like it, especially with the smokey ice cubes.
    I like a good Lynchburg lemonade on occasion, ala Jack Daniels, but I struggle with mixing quality bourbon with anything more than an ice cube.

Maybe I'll sacrifice an ounce one day just to see.

I like the smoked ice cube idea though. I'm a bit of a charcoal/smoker fan myself.

great story...thanks for taking us along.....as you fill the smoker youll get to relive it a few more times with a big smile no doubt!!!

Awesome story and congrats on the bear!!

Awesome vid and great story .. congrats

Wow thanks for taking the time to write all that up. It was well worth the wait on our part! I'll check out the video later when I get home.

Funny about the mysterious disappearing bear / moose crap. Makes me wonder if someone else is hunting the area. I'll confess to clearing bear/moose sign in areas that I hunt. Whenever I come across a giant turd or a broken sapling, my first though is "damnit! do you have to be so friggin obvious?!" and then it's clean up duty... literally, clean up the duty LOL.

The other part about it seeming like 30 seconds after you shot the arrow before it hit says a lot... you were definitely jacked full of adrenaline... that will slow down time for sure. I would be too. A few parts of the story made me cringe a bit. I can't imagine hunting around in thick stuff, predator calling and getting huffed at by bears with only a bow in hand. That's some dedication right there

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Anyone that's gonna condemn him for hanging a picture of a butchered bear to feed his family, would have already condemned him for hunting it in the first place.

I don't find it any more distasteful than the meat department in Save-On.
    I can see both perspectives...I assume you mean the one in the field as its the exact same meat sitting on tyvek at my house and that one is fine by any standard. I do realize there are reactionary people out there and as usual would hate to contribute in any way to a negative image...that said I've been using that photo as a bit of a test of non hunter sensitivity, have had quite a few non hunters ask to see photos of the bear and that's the first one I show them...not just because it's the best representation of an animal I'm proud of and I would hate to censor what I consider a critical part of the hunt for a less experienced hunter than yourself that may not know what they're in for shooting something away from the road in an attempt to appease the unappeasable...but also to gauge their reaction. Not even a cringe so far, I think most people are a lot less sensitive than the vocal minority leads us to believe. I sent that to my vegetarian buddy and he loved it, I think instead of hiding what we do because of that vocal minority we just need to do a better job at getting involved with changing public perception in a positive way. I'm currently working on a short film about the nuance of bear/predator hunting to help offer a counter voice to the idiots trying to have hunts managed based on emotion, I also think I provided plenty of context in regards to why he's being disassembled but if that is still distasteful then I stand corrected and apologize.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Wow thanks for taking the time to write all that up. It was well worth the wait on our part! I'll check out the video later when I get home.

Funny about the mysterious disappearing bear / moose crap. Makes me wonder if someone else is hunting the area. I'll confess to clearing bear/moose sign in areas that I hunt. Whenever I come across a giant turd or a broken sapling, my first though is "damnit! do you have to be so friggin obvious?!" and then it's clean up duty... literally, clean up the duty LOL.

The other part about it seeming like 30 seconds after you shot the arrow before it hit says a lot... you were definitely jacked full of adrenaline... that will slow down time for sure. I would be too. A few parts of the story made me cringe a bit. I can't imagine hunting around in thick stuff, predator calling and getting huffed at by bears with only a bow in hand. That's some dedication right there
    LOL I wonder if that is the case...if it is then they missed one or two really old ones but maybe they were stategic like that. Both bears within a couple hundred yards, my spidey sense told me that was a good pocket before, either I was right or very lucky. Still baffled by the lack of fresh poop in the area, never saw one pile that wasn't totally dry. I wanted to move my cam over that carcass and see if that color phase hangs around and cleans up but just wanted to get the meat taken care of. I know this time of year he could just be cruising through looking for mama bear but really hope he hangs out for the berries and stays until september.

Definitely an adrenaline rush my friend, invaluable lesson on shooting under pressure...what's cool is I was able to watch his reaction to my bow going off in about 1000 frames per second...he didn't move at all, I think I may have simply got caught up and not checked my bubble again after I stepped to clear the branches, causing my shot to impact to the right but in a perfect angle for how he was standing. It may seem unimaginable at the moment but the magic 8ball sees it in your future, at least Caddisgirl can back you up with a cannon when the time comes.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear