Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High end hunting watches

High end hunting watches

Does anyone have or use any gps watches, the Garmin Fenix 5 series for example, wondering about getting one for gps, communication, lifestyle/health stats etc. And hunting of course having weather, gps, compass, altimeter etc etc.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: High end hunting watches

I just got a Garmin Instinct. It seems to do everything I’d ever need and didn’t break the bank. So far I’m happy with it though I need to spend some time learning all of the functions.

I have this one:
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5036-6...ed-Steel-Watch

Suunto makes some really good outdoor watches and I'm happy with it. Altimeter, compass, weather, thermometer, ascent/descent tracker etc.

I find I use the altimeter the most. Love seeing how close I am to the target elevation without having to pull out the GPS

The only thing I wish it had is a heart rate monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I have this one:
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5036-6...ed-Steel-Watch

Suunto makes some really good outdoor watches and I'm happy with it. Altimeter, compass, weather, thermometer, ascent/descent tracker etc.

I find I use the altimeter the most. Love seeing how close I am to the target elevation without having to pull out the GPS

The only thing I wish it had is a heart rate monitor.
    my experience with suunto was not that great 2 bracelets broken within a couple of years. I bought the observer a few years ago and i wish i would have bought the titanium version instead of the rubber bracelet one. Besides that it did its work. I used it one multiday hikes, altimeter during the day to figure out location and barometer at night/morning to predic the weather. It saved the gps batteries big time. I will replace the batteries one of this days and make a leather or webbing bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by chele View Post
    my experience with suunto was not that great 2 bracelets broken within a couple of years. I bought the observer a few years ago and i wish i would have bought the titanium version instead of the rubber bracelet one. Besides that it did its work. I used it one multiday hikes, altimeter during the day to figure out location and barometer at night/morning to predic the weather. It saved the gps batteries big time. I will replace the batteries one of this days and make a leather or webbing bracelet.
    Haven't had that issue with this one. There are lugs that attach to the bracelet with screws and rubber strap has been fine for 2 years so far.

I do find the rubber yo get sticky on hot days and my skin will get stinky under it after a while. Lol.

A bracelet with more holes would be better

I have the Fenix 5x plus. It's a great watch, more metrics than you'll know what to do with as far as health, sleep, exercise go. Great GPS, loads fast, very accurate, works of both glonas and GPS, can be used with both at the same time. Sapphire face makes it bullet proof, quick change straps. It's waterproof down to 350 ft. It even has a hunting/fishing time calendar for it, as well as a ballistics calculator. Watch battery last about 20 days or so between charges, less while running GPS all the time. In short, best watch I've ever had.

Hows the battery life on these smart watches? The fact you have to recharge them is one of the biggest reasons I went with a suunto instead of a smart watch with GPS capability.

The suunto battery lasts like 2 years.

I also have been wearing a Suunto Core for years in the mountains. Best little tool IMO is to have that altimeter on your wrist. I check my route or the general terrain on a map before leaving and make some quick mental notes of key elevations. Then it's great to be able to monitor your progress, especially if you're blindly bushwhacking up something. I find in the mountains, elevation is often my preferred metric rather than distances. As I just started hunting a few years ago, I went for an evening scout that almost turned into an unplanned overnight in the bush. I had lost the faint trail coming off the mountain in the dark and was in full coastal bushwhack mode. The only thing that led me back to my truck is I knew the elevation it was at. So when I hit that elevation but was way off course, I traversed until I saw the reflection of the tail lights, what a relief. I try not to use my GPS but after that incident it came out of storage and into my pack permanently.
    The GPS I try to use only when things get complicated, dark or I screwed up somewhere. Once you get a sense of elevation and effort required, it makes planning your route easier.

I don't use the barometer often because I'm rarely away that long that I'm beyond the short/medium term forecast.
    But on a Bowron Lakes 10 day canoe trip with constant elevation, the barometer definitely predicted the low pressure that came through. We prepared for that rest day by watching the rain come down and reading by the campfire under the tarp.

I use a Casio Pathfinder (old now). Has the triple sensor, Compass, Barometer, Altimeter. ToughSolar same as the G-Shocks. Won't pair with a smartwatch or do any of that stuff, but just works and is light weight. I've beaten the crap out of it mountain biking etc, never had an issue.

I just picked up the Garmin Instinct. Fantastic piece of kit, very customizable in display options for every kind of activity you want to do and tones of fitness tracking gizmos. GPS is accurate and you are able to tracks your route and get back to your start point, you are able to select different satellite systems for positioning if needed as well.

If paired with a smart phone using the Garmin Explore app with downloaded maps (Topo and satellite) it will show your location real-time without the need for cellular service as the watch communicates via Bluetooth with your phone and maps are downloaded.

Would be handy way out in the bush to now exactly where you are. You can also plot and adjust routes on your cell phone using the app and the watch will guide you as well. Got it on sale for $275 and knowing what I know now I would still chose this even at full price.