Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which type of shelter?

Which type of shelter?

Hello, so I am in the market for a shelter mainly used for sheep hunting in Alberta. I have stayed in buddies 2 man free standing pole style tent and it was TIGHT with our packs/rifles in it with us. So I have wanting to buy my own tent as I planning some solo scouting and hunting trips. I have been looking at the seek outside tipi style shelters mainly the Cimarron I know it’s big but would be nice to have the extra room if a buddy tags along. The things I like about the tipi style. The option of a stove and a nest of needed. I am worried how these style
    of tents handle wind tho?? I would like to try and camp high in the alpine area this year vs hiking up and down every day and the foot print is large so I am thinking it might be hard to find a flat area that large in the mountains... Does anyone have experience with these for sheep hunting? And what would ever one recommend I buy ?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Which type of shelter?

I would recommend a high quality 3 season mountain tent.They are built for windy conditions or poor weather.Forget about cooking in them.Not a good idea.The expense will be worth it the first storm you are in.

Quote Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
    i would recommend a high quality 3 season mountain tent.they are built for windy conditions or poor weather.forget about cooking in them.not a good idea.the expense will be worth it the first storm you are in.
    xxxx2 ^^^^^^^
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

In my goat and sheep days I used a MSR Hubba Hubba. Inside was room for 2 guys and nothing else but it was light and compact. It has 2 side entrances and a vesibule on each side. I kept my boots and rifle in the vesibule and used a very heavy duty garbage to pull over my pack at night. I have cooked with a small pack stove in the vesibule when raining but wouldn't recommend if windy. As the tent is so light I did a lot of trips with a partner who had the same tent and it's quite comfy for 1 person.

I use an MSR Mutha Hubba (3 man) whenever were in the mountains for sheep. Super lightweight and easy to setup. Also have TONS of room for 1 guy and lots of room for 2 as you can keep your boots, clothes and gun inside the tent with you. When were coming out of the mountains and set up camp down lower we use a Kifaru Sawtooth and stove. Nothing like cooking sheep steaks over a stove and having a glass of whiskey while its thundering down snow outside and staying warm and dry.

For solo pursuits, Hubba NX.

-Lots more room than 1/2 of a 2 person tent.
    -Much easier to find flat spots for setup.
    -Shrugs wind great when guyed out, especially with the narrower profile.
    -Will handle blowing rain and sleet and still keep you dry.
    -Light and compact

Trying to cover too many bases with one tent leads to grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Romain View Post
    I use an MSR Mutha Hubba (3 man) whenever were in the mountains for sheep. Super lightweight and easy to setup. Also have TONS of room for 1 guy and lots of room for 2 as you can keep your boots, clothes and gun inside the tent with you.
    My buddy has the same tent. Awesome piece of kit for 2 guys on a backpack hunt.

A home made camper makes for a heavy pack into sheep country...

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    A home made camper makes for a heavy pack into sheep country...
    LOL, I posted in the wrong one...sorry about that.

Just picked up a Hilleberg Akto, cant wait to try it out.

Going to be my 1 tent to do it all, summer to winter.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF