Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which type of shelter?

Arrow Re: Which type of shelter?

Quote Originally Posted by summit151 View Post
    ... I have been looking at the seek outside tipi style shelters mainly the Cimarron I know it’s big but would be nice to have the extra room if a buddy tags along.
    We use a larger version from the same company as the one you are thinking of:

And although fairly light for what it is, it is ONLY used for base camp. Far to large to consider dragging up the hill.

They are very stable in the wind, and will shed water / snow like a duck.
    You have to make sure you have the liner installed, or will face rain-like condensation issues.
    Floor is a great addition, as is the super lightweight stove & chimney they make.
    All adds up to more weight.

The large footprint when up top is a real concern. Many a time I have had a tough time simply finding a flatish enough spot to make a simple tarp tube to overnight in.

And it can also be a tad tricky to find the right spot for an ultralight, let alone one of the tipis:

These are great tents - for a base.
    As the others have pointed out above, there are MUCH better choices for packing uphill and spike camping with.

Cheers & Good Luck with your decision...
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Which type of shelter?

We bought 3 lux mini peaks for sheep hunting trip. Have only used once but will really tested them out for 10 nights next month

Re: Which type of shelter?

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    LOL, I posted in the wrong one...sorry about that.
    Well it did make me laugh.