Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bow Hunting and Mosquitos

Re: Bow Hunting and Mosquitos

Thermacell. The one in the first reply to your post. Get two if you want bigger area protection or have shifting winds.

thermacell!
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    My rule of thumb, if I'm in bug country, I'm not in the immediate area of elk. The elk hate being pestered by bugs. If they have the option, theyll move to a location, cooler, better air flow etc, to get out of the bugs.
    Never have an issue with bugs during elk hunt.
    Hunt elk where you find them.
    Now this is sound advice, heed it! Thermacells make a noise, you probably can only faintly hear it, but it's likely screaming in the ears of deer, elk and moose.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Now this is sound advice, heed it! Thermacells make a noise, you probably can only faintly hear it, but it's likely screaming in the ears of deer, elk and moose.
    The newer version of the Thermacell is quieter when igniting, but I ignite mine before I even leave the truck. I haven't had an issue with game hearing the thermacell. Took a turkey this spring with my thermacell running the whole time; I had elk & deer within 5 feet of me for hours.

I'm with the Thermacell guys. I bought one the other week for a camping/recon trip. Neither me or the girlfriend had a single bite after 3 days. I also used it on a couple of hikes with great success.
    Ali

"It is a blessing of the wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." - Horace Kephart

"Don't ever be afraid to try something!! Remember a lone amateur built the ark and a large group of professionals built the titanic..."

I've always been of the hardcore "no bug spray" mindset as well no matter how bad it gets, just layer up and sweat...until last month that is, finally caved one Saturday afternoon in some extra buggy timber and borrowed a few sprays of my girlfriends bug spray, called a bear in and shot him at 30 about an hour later. 12 hours my ass though, was getting chewed alive the whole tracking job. Thermacells are good if you're stationary but I have't had any luck hiking with it so it collects dust most of the time, just spray yourself down and play the wind.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Thanks for the advice. I Picked up a Thermacell. It was the last one on the shelf or I would have picked up two. I'll chalk that up to another testament to how well they work (and how bad the mosquitoes were this year). I haven't used it yet. Spring bear closed and the mozzies died down somewhat. Come August 15th I'll be above treeline playing the wind where I know the bears will be dining on Berries.
    I'll give the Thermacell a try next spring when I'm in the tree stand.

But damn, The Thermacell comes with a pretty stiff warning label.

Arrow Re: Bow Hunting and Mosquitos

Quote Originally Posted by brn2ryd View Post
    ... But damn, The Thermacell comes with a pretty stiff warning label.
    Don't lick the blue pads...

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Muskol had an odorless liquid you could rub on