Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: November Moose

November Moose

Got an LEH for bull moose in 3-31 for November. Any tips on hunting moose post rut? It will be my first time hunting moose, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: November Moose

What reliably works for me is to do tonnes of research of the area, then a smidgeon of Google Earth and then use my two feet and a heart beat scout and find the animals.

Do a summer scout trip or even October, use google earth etc. Usually the bulls are bagged after the rut and go thick timber, it will be a tough hunt but find fresh sign then walk
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Got an LEH for bull moose in 3-31 for November. Any tips on hunting moose post rut? It will be my first time hunting moose, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    I had a November bull draw in 3-37 a few years back. We got up high and called. 2 moose down by 11:30 the first day.

Congratulations! You must be pretty excited. I was going to say moose is my favourite hunt but I realized they are all favourites one way or another.

If you are successful you will be amazed at how friggin' big a bull moose is. Check out some filed dressing videos on youtube and be prepared to get bloody and really tired. It is a lot of work. Not much risk of meat spoiling in November, so you have that going for you.

Have fun!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

One of my fav times to hunt moose. You need to find the feed. As mentioned, I suggest a trip beforehand and look for willows/red willows as this is what they like to feed on. Spend your time around the willows and you'll have a great chance. I find first thing in the morning is best. You gotta be out before light. Don't worry about calling except maybe a quick cow call to stop a bull maybe. Some guys will tell you they call them in in November but I reckon glassing high probability areas is better in Novemeber. Put your time in and you have a great chance of filling that tag. Good luck
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

Thanks guys! I’m pumped to get out there and scout around

remember I believe there is no quad access due to previous fires so make sure you have a decent 4x4 and a good pair of walking boots!

Quote Originally Posted by markt308 View Post
    One ofitsmy fav times to hunt moose. You nIed to find the feed. As mentioned, I suggest a trip beforehand and look for willows/red willows as this is what they like to feed on. Spend your time around the willows and you'll have a great chance. I find first thing in the morning is best. You gotta be out before light. Don't worry about calling except maybe a quick cow call to stop a bull maybe. Some guys will tell you they call them in in November but I reckon glassing high probability areas is better in Novemeber. Put your time in and you have a great chance of filling that tag. Good luck
    Hmmm exellent advice..look for red willow..near water courses...if lots of snow..back skidder trails..the food and tall thick tmber wont be far apart..saving resources..look for points just inside the timber...most escape routes..look for blue..in the snow shadows of moose tracks look blue compared to white surface snow.
    Moose will not be moving far..its now chow time..survival..40 pounds of food per day.
    Some cows will come into second heat..3rd heat ? But best bet find tracks near food source and close to bedding..sneak SLOWELY into wind...
    Good luck
    Srupp

Yep red willow and thick timber. Got our bull last year (was in a group of 3 bulls) in ņovember. Glassed from over four km away in what looked like open pine beetle kill. Got over in the area and it was wicked blowdown with three year old cuts and red willow growing up throughout. Lake was five hundred meters away. Found their tracks in mud and found antlers bedded in thick blowdown.

Get up high and glass large areas! Like others have said, good feed and bedding areas. I like the high elevation areas as long as there isn't too much snow.