Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ways to consearve wildlife and still enjoy the hunt so we dont wipe it all out.

Re: ways to consearve wildlife and still enjoy the hunt so we dont wipe it all out.

Sound management practices, determine how many animals are surplus to the over all population by using current animal census practices and use tags and or LEH to make sure over harvest doesn't happen. Support animal populations by protecting or rebuilding habitat.

Unsound management practices, ban shit you happen to not like.

Re: ways to consearve wildlife and still enjoy the hunt so we dont wipe it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Our wildlife declines aren’t from long range hunters. There have been multiple threads discussing/debating our wildlife issues in depth.
    Maybe not, but I'm sure most of us have found dead animals that were shot. Most I'd venture to guess were wounded due to shi++y shooting and then lost. Nobody can make me believe that the chances of that occurring don't go up exponentially with the distance the shot was taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    But I liken this debate to a guy that only owns a shotgun for bird hunting to jump on the anti handgun bandwagon because he thinks it wont affect him.
    What Ron said.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Man I wish I could find even a 500 yard sight line where hunt.

A 1000 yard shot does take a lot of skill and practice. I am impressed with them. Personally, doesn't mean I think it is fair chase though.

The animal has no idea that you are across the valley - I guess it adds to the nerves a bit that you are shooting at a live animal instead of a gong, but don't think the difference is that great. Still wouldn't be a dick to someone who pulled it off.

I remember watching those folks with Nightforce (forget the show on WildTV).
    Anyways, they took a bull elk with their Berger bullets at something around 1000 yards.

And like Srupp said, they made it sound like there was just no way to close the gap and it was getting late etc.
    What a load of crap!
    Not a tree in the way, just had to go down the hill and close the gap and shoot somewhat uphill and plenty of time.

Worst part, they had probably 150 yards in fron of them, straight out, that they could have walked in under a minute.
    Wouldn't have spooked anything etc.

The reason they didn't, they wanted to get a kill shot on an elk at 1000+ yards, and not 1 yard under 1000!!!
    Just wouldn't sound as cool on TV to the viewer.

Never watched that show after that!!! ever again.

I agree on the BOTW/GW's giving hunting a black eye. Personally I think most of it's a bad joke, possibly with the exception of the few that actually put the time in and have the humility to pass when conditions are not perfect.

That said, I'm pretty much anti-ban on nearly everything, simply because it's a slippery slope with no return.

What BC wildlife needs most, is common sense management that does what's needed to stabilize/increase not what a bunch of Citiots and foreign lobbyists 'think' is best.

A Wolf cull and ramping up bear hunting would be a giant leap in the right direction. Not too mention all BC residents being bound by the same law.

Dreams are free, right? LOL.

I will not join a bun fight over long distance vs close up hunting. To each their own.

All I will add is my own perspective.

I have a handful of big game rifles but none are laser beam accurate.

Judging by the way my groups open up between 100 metres and 200 metres. I know that my rifles and I are not capable of anything beyond 300 and that would be stretching it.

Besides that, no matter that I have my rifles figured out to 200 metres, most of my shooting game has been under 100 metres anyway. The last two deer I got were shot at between 60 and 80 metres away and the last black bear a similar distance. And I've shot game animals 4 to 5 metres away on occasion too.

In my case it is much more important to know where my bullet will be at 25, 50, 75 and 100 metres than great distances, that is for darn sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Its kind of hard sometimes to know how serious someone is when they post online.

But to the OP, how many animals did you shoot with your Zeiss 4x14x44 before you came to the realization that it wasn't fair chase to use a scope bigger than 3x9? Why not fixed power below 5x? Why not iron sights? Hell, why not single shot or black powder............

What if someone "other than you" recommended a ban on the equipment that you feel is ethical. What if the" Ban it " bandwagon you were on didnt stop where you thought it should have?

What if someone determined it's not ethical and made it illegal to take kids below the age of 18 into the mountains and have them participate in hunting?

On and on it goes.. .

People can change the way they view things and may do something different or change their values as the move through their life. And there are some legal methods of hunting that we wi never all agree on.
    But I liken this debate to a guy that only owns a shotgun for bird hunting to jump on the anti handgun bandwagon because he thinks it wont affect him.
    I use a 6x scope for hunting, do not feel limited at all.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

If you are confident in your shooting abilities, go ahead. I turned down the biggest buck I have ever seen because it was too far away and bad angle. Know your limits. Personally, I would like to see the cow elk , cow moose and mulie doe draws closed where the populations are low and struggling. I have stopped applying for them. It's hard for the population to recover if you are shooting the offspring providers. I don't critisize anyone that does, it's just what I choose.
    Last edited by cameron0518; 06-28-2019 at 12:58 PM.

To me who cares how "easy" it is for a hunter to harvest an animal. If we want to help populations hunters need to be selective and there needs to be less opportunity. How come there's so many MD does being taken in a declining population??