Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ways to consearve wildlife and still enjoy the hunt so we dont wipe it all out.

Re: ways to consearve wildlife and still enjoy the hunt so we dont wipe it all out.

Hmmmm tv shows sell products. .the $10,000 rifle $6,000 scope..they show the hits..what about the misses? Its the sizzle not the steak..actually seen a guy who said..we are 700 yards from this grizzly bear..we simply can NOT get any closer good thing we have tge new remchucker mangelem in 747..lol
    If you cant get closer than 700 yards to G bear..take up knitting..the subsequent shot was heavily edited. .pathetic.
    Now there are guys who can do this pretty much every time? But not on a grizzly IMO.
    Im not going to say what you are comfortable with..stay in that zone..and spend considerable time and effort when things go a tad wee bit off.
    Furthest shot on mefium game..318 yards on my stone sheep..rock steady rest. .literally..hit the heart.
    Longest shot ever 400 yards on a moose..went 15 yards
    I do have a ballistic turret on one rifle and a etched reticle on the other ...
    There are guys who get their mail at the shooting range..they are much more capable shooters than I.....why...practice thousands of rounds.
    Cheers
    Sorry guys nother bad night..sick sucks !
    Steven

Re: ways to consearve wildlife and still enjoy the hunt so we dont wipe it all out.

Its a very slippery slope to start to talk about banning any type of hunting.

At what point does each hunter think technology has overcome fair chase? You probably get 10 different answers from 10 hunters.

And as far as wounding game, an inexperienced undisciplined hunter can wound more game at 50 yards then a patient, capable marksman will at 500 or more.

I also think people by nature are hypocrites. How many guys will condemn long range hunting when they have made a poor choice in the field " shooting beyond their practiced range, shooting at running game when they have not practiced this, not putting in good effort to recover....

I stopped watching almost all hunting shows because of the ridiculous celebrations that some feel the need to film
    I will still watch Jim Shockey, Solohunter and Meateater simply beacause I like the restraint they show and the lack of fist pumping and booyas when an animal is taken. I think these guys do an awesome job showing what hunting is about. And they take all manner of game with all manner of technology. There are some pretty lengthy shots taken in these shows as well. But these people are hunters and should be able to chose the method they like, and not be pigeon holed

For the record, I am not a long range guy. But I do have a CDS turret on my 4x14 VX3 topped 7mm-08 because I dont want to hold over if a get a shot at a goat at 350 yards. So I guess by the OP' thinking that's not fair chase.

I'm not going to jump on a bandwagon calling for a ban.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 06-28-2019 at 06:34 AM.

Hunter harvest is a small fraction of wildlife mortality.

I would be willing to bet than 90-95% of harvests are under 250M.

If you are that worried about hunter harvest, you should advocate that shots under 300M should be made illegal. Give those poor little animals a chance and stop taking 10-20 yard shots... that takes zero marksmanship skills... man up and join that 500M+ club... that is, if you want to enjoy it and not wipe it all out... too many unskilled "hunters" shooting animals at close range giving them no chance

I am not for a ban on anything. In BC we 'hunters' were called management participants, used to get a sew on crest when you sent a tooth in.

To me, especially a limited enter hunt, is were the biologists deem that 'X' number of animals can be taken in an area with no long term impact on the general population. An open season hunt is based on the average time of the hunt, past success ratios and other factors that we are not privy to.

With that, why should anyone give a shit by which method and tools the animal is hunted!

Short range, long range, bow & arrow, spear , jack knife, muzzleloader, cartridge black powder, hands on strangulation or the latest "sniper" system costing upwards of 10g. End result is an animal is taken, if the hunter is proficient with tactics and use of his/her tools.

Reliable hits in the field at 500m are not flukes on the part of the shooter, a lot of quality practice ,equipment choices (reliable scope is a big consideration), correct bullet for the game, distance and velocity of said bullet at POI all are part of a reliable quick kill.

A friend and I practice pretty much weekly at distances from ~1200 yards down to 200 yards, targets are steel and are of the size of an average deers heart lung area. If you do this you will know 500m is a long shot in the field. At 500m most decent rifle/scope systems with reliable (not cherry picked) 1 moa accuracy will get you there. Expect to spend $3-400 (in ammo)a month to keep the skill level up. The shooting position in the field strongly dictates the distance for a reliable hit.

Only study and practice increase your danger zone.

Or as the OP suggests we could use a warped wooden 270 flinging 130 Sierra's at moose size game with a 3x9 scope, always set at 9 because , you know why leave a few extra 'X's' on the table......besides it will hit a 20l pail at 100 yards or at least it did last year.

Sorry to be cynical, but banning (anything) demonstrates that a person or group is lazy of thought.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

I say we ban Trail Cams instead!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    I say we ban Trail Cams instead!
    And old people they have way too much experience giving them an unfair advantage

Some of you guys sound like liberals. I dont like it[or cant use it] so lets ban it.

I say we ban hunters who think we should ban other hunters. Everyones a critic. No I do not believe in making unethical shots. We should educate and encourage ethical hunting, but we need to stick togehter as a group. I dont know when shooting at targets at 1000 yards was changed to shooting at game at 1000 yards but its wrong. Anyway, we are all individuals and we have different values. All we can do is work to encourage ethical hunting and encourage long range shooting at ranges.
    I hope you are feeling better soon SRUPP. Hang in there, sending positive vibes your way my friend.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

lets ban islanders from the mainland..hell your only allowed to hunt in the mu..you live in.

Its kind of hard sometimes to know how serious someone is when they post online.

But to the OP, how many animals did you shoot with your Zeiss 4x14x44 before you came to the realization that it wasn't fair chase to use a scope bigger than 3x9? Why not fixed power below 5x? Why not iron sights? Hell, why not single shot or black powder............

What if someone "other than you" recommended a ban on the equipment that you feel is ethical. What if the" Ban it " bandwagon you were on didnt stop where you thought it should have?

What if someone determined it's not ethical and made it illegal to take kids below the age of 18 into the mountains and have them participate in hunting?

On and on it goes.. .

People can change the way they view things and may do something different or change their values as the move through their life. And there are some legal methods of hunting that we wi never all agree on.
    But I liken this debate to a guy that only owns a shotgun for bird hunting to jump on the anti handgun bandwagon because he thinks it wont affect him.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 06-28-2019 at 08:57 AM.