Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: LEGAL or ILLEGAL: A thread to sharpen each other through debate.

Re: LEGAL or ILLEGAL: A thread to sharpen each other through debate.

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post

This thread has me re-thinking some of what I thought "I knew". I always thought that a moose with a broken off antler would be considered a 2 point bull, but I didn't give it any thought at what point the break was. Longer than thicker is the rule. Thanks forums...
    Now may I ask: longer than thicker when it comes to a tine yes, but antler no...with the moose pics given, those bulls all have longer noses, and have visibly bony antlers - less than two points, they have zero points, therefore IMO count as a legal 'spike fork bull' - someone plz correct me if I'm wrong - I have studied this to death, as it cost me a immature bull one day...

Beauty rams btw congrats....

Well I never thought I'd actually have something to contribute to this thread but lo and behold I do! haha. Those that know me know I'm still a new hunter with only 2 deer under my belt and with that being said, I'm really curious to hear others opinions on these photos. We decided to try our luck at using some trail cams for the first time and it appears we have a 3 point/unlikely spike-fork bull on it. I'll start off by saying I wouldn't shoot it because I can't tell how large those little nubs are. I'm also guessing that come November with his velvet gone and a couple more months of growth that they'll be a bit more defined.

Help a gal out and let me know your thoughts

Last edited by Dash; 08-29-2019 at 06:03 PM.

I am guessing he is going to have at least three on each side.

[QUOTE=eatram;2100695]Legal or illegal: 4 point mule deer only zone

[/QUOTE

Would be a 3 point regardless of Basel burr based off the protrusion occurring in the lower 1/3 of the Antler. My understanding from the information provided is that a tine must occur in the top 2/3’rds of an Antler for it to be considered a “Tine”
    Last edited by Mutter87; 08-29-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Information was provided in later pages

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    I am guessing he is going to have at least three on each side.
    For learning purposes, I'm curious if your opinion is based on his current appearance or what he's anticipated to look like come November? I'm just curious how much they grow and change still at this stage

Considering the pic was taken aug 14....I’m going to say he will not grow anymore this yr. Based on the measurements for moose times, I will also bet that he won’t have 3pts on his right side. The little bump in the middle won’t be long enough and the back one is too wide. But I’ve also been wrong before....lol

Dash
    Based on your pictures and what I read in the Regs, I would say that bull looks like a two point. I would look in the regs under "Tine or Point" definition. Read it very carefully and decide. I will interested in what your interpretation or feedback is. My opinion is based on that very definition. This is great practice at home, and will make you a more skilled hunter in the long run.

Question for others on this board. A few years ago a friend of mine shot a bull moose during the immature season. The bull had one antler with 3 points on one side and the second antler was non existent. Was it a legal immature bull as per the definition?

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    For learning purposes, I'm curious if your opinion is based on his current appearance or what he's anticipated to look like come November? I'm just curious how much they grow and change still at this stage
    I agree with Quadrakid, he's probably going to have 3 points on each antler..antlers grow quite fast, and given that he's still in velvet, each time I would think will become more distinct..nice pics..