Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: LEGAL or ILLEGAL: A thread to sharpen each other through debate.

Re: LEGAL or ILLEGAL: A thread to sharpen each other through debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post

Nice example of how to be legal both ways, yet both legalities are not in the "spirit" of the rule. If this bull was close to the truck, I'da whacked em. Nice example.

Page 5 of regs, "Mule (black-tail) deer - Four points or grater buck =Means any buck having at least 4 tines EXCLUDING THE BROW TINE. on one antler ON Page 5 of the regulations

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    Nice example of how to be legal both ways, yet both legalities are not in the "spirit" of the rule. If this bull was close to the truck, I'da whacked em. Nice example.
    Yes, the local CO at the time said legal either way.

RD
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

New question: Hunting upland or ducks with a dog working the bush or lookin for ducks. A deer walks out of the bush within range and in season. You load a slug and shoot the deer....according to letter of the law a dog must be on leash when hunting big game but can be off leash for hunting birds, waterfowl or any of the hound hunting species.
    What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    New question: Hunting upland or ducks with a dog working the bush or lookin for ducks. A deer walks out of the bush within range and in season. You load a slug and shoot the deer....according to letter of the law a dog must be on leash when hunting big game but can be off leash for hunting birds, waterfowl or any of the hound hunting species.
    What do you all think?
    How big is the buck?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    Thanks so much for the feedback. I have indeed read that section a few different times and I've really gone back and forth. Based on that, I think his left side is in a grey area simply because I really can't gauge the size of that tine in between. I feel like what may look small in a camera could be just big enough in real life considering they're such large animals. His right side though, based on the current appearance I really think qualifies as a two point. That middle nub is just not high or wide enough. With that being said, I'm really inexperienced with the growth rates and how much that could change come November.

I really appreciate hearing everyone's feedback!
    Dash
    Good call. Your on the right track. With the bull in velvet it is hard to tell, but I agree with you that the right side looks to be only two points. The bump in the middle appears to be wider than it is high. IAW the regs that would mean its not a point or tine. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    I took a mule deer one year that was a 4x5 but on one side he had forking brow tines that were longer than an inch each.. would one of those count as an extra tine?

Also there is a buck that hangs around my place that has one antler that runs down along his jaw that has many 1" ish Tines coming off the whole length but no forking of the beams... would he be legal if there is 5 of them? One of his offspring has tines splitting on that side and was going into its face this year.. poor thing
    Since the brow tine is the first tine projecting upward or forward on the lower third of the antler, I would say that the extra lower tine would count as a tine as long as that tine is not only longer than an inch, but is also longer than its breadth..

Quote Originally Posted by Mudsey View Post
    You nailed it. Being a conscientious hunter he took it to the CO's and that's what they determined. He lost the moose and received a warning.
    Good to know, thanks man..

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    here is one that someone (lets call him tideopenwottle) actually did...heheheheh ...it was years ago and I had no idea if I was doing anything wrong or not...what do you guys think?...I put it in the hunting pranks thread

WT hunting with my main hunting buddy about 8 years ago IIRC...we split up to circle around an area and were going to meet up in a few hours near a road that wound through the area....
    as I was slowly approaching our meeting point, I heard a bang...I ducked and waited a moment cuz it was only a few hundred yards away...I then heard another bang and thumpity thumpity thumpity crash less than 50 yards away...

I walked over to it carefully and waited a minute or two but no sign of my buddy....so I started to gut it....I actually finished gutting it and dragged it to within a few yards of the road....I decided I would put it out of sight a bit in case a truck came by on the road and then go find buddy....

When I found him a few hundred yards from where I had found the deer I asked if he got one, where did he shoot from, did he see blood, did it feel like a hit all the usual stuff?...he said he thinks he was dialed in but might have missed....like a good hunting buddy I offered to help him look for it.....

we walked around for 15 minutes while he kept saying he thinks he must have missed but I say lets keep looking.....finally he says lets just head back to the road...I say ok but lets do one last sweep for blood as we move towards the road...

I could barely contain myself as we were getting close to the road and he noticed the drag marks and the blood trail...we both laughed hysterically for a good long time when I pointed to his deer behind the log near the road....
    Lol your a good friend you did all the work for him heck I'd throw you a steak maybe lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post

Hell yeah bang flopper for sure just like you did..