Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LEGAL or ILLEGAL: A thread to sharpen each other through debate.

Re: LEGAL or ILLEGAL: A thread to sharpen each other through debate.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    I was not aware that they had changed the spike/ fork immature moose definition.. thanks for the update...

Last moose draw was 8 years ago, finally drew again this year. May come in handy during the s/f season
    I am surprised as the immature reg was changed years ago and has been discussed here on HBC numerous times
    Just shows to go ya the value of threads like this
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

With hair on, that ram would be tough to age at 8 yo. Given the amount of growth between 5-6 and 6-7 there could well be 2+ inches at the base for the current seasons growth.
    The change in colour by its self is not an indicator of another year.
    When trying to add another year at the base like this, one has to consider the amount of growth there should be for the current 8-9 month growth season
    The amount of growth in years 7, 8, and 9 will vary from ram to ram, and change with health and environment conditions, so thee are no givens or automatics to the aging process
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Legal or Illegal: Any buck season; less than an inch... (btw, queen charlottes deer, but not for this exercise)

Definition of "Buck" "visible bony antler" no minimum length. So legal

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    Legal or Illegal: Any buck season; less than an inch... (btw, queen charlottes deer, but not for this exercise)

Legal, but I have to ask, who had that "mounted"!!!
    That cracks me up!

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    This consolidation is current to June 25, 2019.Link to consolidated regulation (PDF)

Link to Point in Time

Wildlife Act

Limited Entry Hunting Regulation

[includes amendments up to B.C. Reg. 43/2019, March 6, 2019]
    Part 1 — General

3 point buck" means a male deer having an antler composed of a main
    beam from which no more than 3 tines, each of which is at least 2.5 cm in length
    not including the brow tine or basal burr, project beyond the lower third of the
    main beam;

Deposited June 15, 1984
    This consolidation is current to June 25, 2019.
    Link to consolidated regulation (PDF)

Link to Point in Time

Wildlife Act

Hunting Regulation

[includes amendments up to B.C. Reg. 43/2019, March 6, 2019]
    Division 1 — Interpretation

"brow tine" means the first lateral branch, of an antler of deer, elk, moose or caribou, that projects forward and occurs in the lower one third of the antler;

OK, I finally found your "3 point buck" definition. Now just a couple of definitions lower, is the one about a "4 point buck". Here it is copied.

“4 point buck” means a male deer having an antler composed of a main beam from
    which 4 or more tines, not including the brow tine, project, each of which is at
    least 2.5 cm in length;

In this description, it fails to mention anything about a basal burr. I wonder if the 3 point buck is intended to have a bit of a spin to it to reduce the 3 pointer herds... Kinda hard to interpret the rules....

Happy Debating...

PS. The buck in this description better not be a female one with antlers. Every few years one is shot. What then?! Is that illegal?! Yet this rule states "male deer"...
    Last edited by eatram; 06-28-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    OK, I finally found your "3 point buck" definition. Now just a couple of definitions lower, is the one about a "4 point buck". Here it is copied.

“4 point buck” means a male deer having an antler composed of a main beam from
    which 4 or more tines, not including the brow tine, project, each of which is at
    least 2.5 cm in length;

In this description, it fails to mention anything about a basal burr. I wonder if the 3 point buck is intended to have a bit of a spin to it to reduce the 3 pointer herds... Kinda hard to interpret the rules....

Happy Debating...

PS. The buck in this description better not be a female one with antlers. Every few years one is shot. What then?! Is that illegal?! Yet this rule states "male deer"...
    Our season is an antlerd season not a buck season.
    You can shoot an antlerd doe.

My buddy shot a WT two years back that he thought was a buck. Turned out it was an antlered doe. He cut his tag as "antlered" .

Checked with the CO and were told that was the correct way to cut the tag in that circumstance as the deer was in fact antleted. The sex was irrelevant as long as the head remained attached until the animal was at a cutter or home for processing.

And take pics.

If you are really unsure after you drop an animal and you made am honest mistake, you can self report.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 06-29-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    My buddy shot a WT two years back that he thought was a buck. Turned out it was an antlered doe. He cut his tag as "antlered" .

Checked with the CO and were told that was the correct way to cut the tag in that circumstance as the deer was in fact antleted. The sex was irrelevant as long as the head remained attached until the animal was at a cutter or home for processing.

And take pics.

If you are really unsure after you drop an animal and you made am honest mistake, you can self report.
    I've heard of this with moose, female with a spike fork.

This is how the 4 point regulation is defined. Mule (black-tailed) deer. Four points or greater buck means any buck having at least four tines EXCLUDING the brow tine on one antler