Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archery Goat hunting.

Archery Goat hunting.

So I was lucky enough to draw a goat tag this year. I am thinking of trying it with a bow. Any advice for a first time archery goat hunter is welcome. I will be doing some pre hunt scouting trips with the kids to locate the goats, but getting in close I think is where I could use the most advice. Thanks in advance.
    I should add that my two daughters also drew tags so I am not high on the priority list as far as getting first crack at it. I will probably wait for October for me. We have done this hunt before and usually end up with one between the three of us.
    Last edited by Huevos; 06-26-2019 at 07:02 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Archery Goat hunting.

I’ve stalked them with a bow but haven’t killed one. Friend of mine wears all white to get close. Seems to work.

I've heard that. I'm excited to get out and learn what works, and what doesn't.

I had one at 19 yards, full draw, wind switched and he took off. That’s as close as I ever got.

Get above them. Also true with rifle... Although I haven't personally witnessed a goat being killed by death from above.

Of course it can be done, a good arrow shot will kill anything
    Have had several rifle hunts where the stalk is coming down a knife ridge with trees, steep terrain on both sides, and the only shot is after getting past the last tree in the line of sight, well within bow range
    Have had far more white knuckle moments hunting goats than many sheep hunts
    Last edited by boxhitch; 06-27-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I tried my first 2 goat hunts with a bow. On the second hunt, I stalked to within 25 yards of a bedded goat but he was in a unrecoverable spot.

I'm no goat expert, but I would say dont rush. Where we hunt, they wont go far if undisturbed. Take your time and really analyze the approach options and dont get fixated on the goat your stalking.

On my last rifle hunt I was stalking to within shooting range of a Billy, and I didn't notice a nanny with kid that slipped into view to my right. She did a crazy nasal blow like a whitetail doe does when she catches ya. Every goat on that side of the mountain went vertical, and stayed there.

On other hunts, weve bumped goats in the timber on our way up. If I were to bow hunt goat again id pay more attention to those high timber fringe areas adjacent to where I'm seeing goats in the open. Once you are in their zone, you never know when one will appear.

Wish you the best of luck.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 06-27-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Chased them around with a bow for a few years but sold the bow. Many of the ones we have taken with rifle have been in bow range and have been in bow range
    of many others. Personally think they can be easy to get with in range of but must be cautious as to were they might go after the shot. Depending on
    location and how much time you have they can be patterened some what. Another good way to get them close is to call them especially late in the season
    during the rut.
    Might try the 30-30 this year for some thing different.
    That's cool that your daughters got a draw as well good luck to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    ... Another good way to get them close is to call them especially late in the season
    during the rut...

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    You hunt them enough you should no.
    All animals are vocal.