Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archery Goat hunting.

Re: Archery Goat hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    You hunt them enough you should no.
    All animals are vocal.
    I have a ton of goat’cam videos, goats are about the most vocal animals Iv seen, even out of the rut. They get pretty curious when a guy starts baahhh’ing at them. Solid advice for archery hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Of course it can be done, a good arrow shot will kill anything
    Have had several rifle hunts where the stalk is coming down a knife ridge with trees, steep terrain on both sides, and the only shot is after getting past the last tree in the line of sight, well within bow range
    Have had far more white knuckle moments hunting goats than many sheep hunts
    I would agree with this. Always work to approach a goat from above. I've had a few goat LEH's. Attempted to take them all with a recurve. I did a lot of spotting from below and only when the goats moved into favourable position did I make the ascent and attempt. While each time I was able to get within 50 yards (25yrds on one attempt) in the moment I was more worried about my safety than taking a goat. For me, I realized I needed to practice steep downhill shots. Twice I was hung up on a ledge, big pack, no where to go, had to get the courage to 'move', and get myself out of a difficult spot.

Thanks for all the advice. My 12 yr old daughter had a draw last year, but after two days of not being able to see more than 200 yards in the smoke, we decided to call it. Two years ago, we went and my 13 yr old daughter took her first goat. I will admit that it was the most emotionally exhausting hunt I have ever been on. I had two kids in the scree and cliffs, one hand on each, thinking that this may not have been the best plan. Her goat died 5 feet away from a 200' drop. Satisfying to have them up there with me, but my nerves were shot by the end.

I never considered where the goat will end up after putting an arrow in it. I will have to keep this in mind before taking a shot (if I get that far).

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    You hunt them enough you should no.
    All animals are vocal.
    I'm aware they're vocal, just the ability to call them.

On that note, only animals I can say I'm mildly good at calling are foxes and waterfowl

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I'm aware they're vocal, just the ability to call them.

On that note, only animals I can say I'm mildly good at calling are foxes and waterfowl
    Give it a try you may find out that it will help. Have called a fair number in and kept others curious enough
    to make decisions. A deer grunt tube can work but they are better on sheep.
    Its not something like calling elk where you are a mile away but have called them from 3 or 4 hundred yards.