Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optics - binocular magnification opinions

Optics - binocular magnification opinions

I have a 20x60mm spotting scope.
    I have 8x32mm binoculars.

Looking for far distance binoculars.
    12x50mm vs avg. 10x42mm
    Am I getting much more with 12x or is it not going to be very noticeable anyways? Also, how much more bulk etc?
    This is pertaining to a mountain goat recon and hunt.
    thanks in advance.
    *I will be going to physically look etc, but looking for experienced opinions.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Optics - binocular magnification opinions

12x50mm are physically fairly large compared to 10x42 but the extra 2x power is nice. Since you already have a spotting scope I would go with the 10x. Easier to glass with and when you find something you want to take a closer look at bring out the scope.

I run 8x42's because I like the FOV but there are times hunting open country that I wish I had a bit more.

I wouldn't pass on the 12x yet though. I have also thought about going that route with a tripod adapter.

Maybe some 12x guys can give their input.

You’ll be spending a lot of time behind binoculars so they need to be very usable. A 12x is kind of a specialty and would be difficult to use for long periods handheld. They would be great in the right situation with a tripod adaptor, but the bulk of what you’ll do with binoculars will be best done with 8x or 10x at the most combined with your spotting scope.
    I’ve owned both 8x and 10x. I prefer 8x as an all around bino because I know I struggle to be rock solid and the extra 2x just magnifies my shivering even more.
    Better detail with less x’s is better than blurry extra x’s for me.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 06-26-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Even though you get more magnification, a 12X50 will be much heavier and bulkier.
    50mm optics are great in low light conditions, but I would go with the 10X42.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

I prefer 10x42.

Not only are 12x50 much heavier to carry around, the 12x magnification is too much unless you are going to be using a tripod always.

The problem is the picture will be quite shakey. Couple that with a smaller field of view and I'm never getting anything above 10x

As I get older and hands aren't as steady I'll probably go down to 8x

I prefer the 8/42 binocs ,field of view and less shaker. Quality optics, Swarovski Zeise (spelling?) will give you better details over power for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Not only are 12x50 much heavier to carry around, the 12x magnification is too much unless you are going to be using a tripod always.

The problem is the picture will be quite shakey. Couple that with a smaller field of view and I'm never getting anything above 10x

As I get older and hands aren't as steady I'll probably go down to 8x
    ^^^^
    This, 12x need a tripod, it is to difficult to hold them steady and they become very hard on your eyes very quickly.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

I have 8x42 and 10x42 and prefer the 10x. I don’t notice the shake much but I carry a tripod for when I sit down. You have a scope so maybe the 8x42 would be better for fov and then switch to scope. You’ll have a tripod so I’d get a mount for the binos. It so much more relaxing than having them wobbling around like you have the DTs, straining your bloodshot eyes.

I have the same question, would like to replace the spotting scope with higher power bino’s. Will use them with a tripod, does anyone have experience with that setup? I would think it would be easier on the eyes with bino’s than a spotting scope. Although I do like the scopephone on the spotting scope. What setup have you had experience with?