Thread: LEH GOAT INFO - For First Time Goat Hunters.

LEH GOAT INFO - For First Time Goat Hunters.

LEH has come and gone, and with that brings an onslaught of new hunters, or new goat hunters, that have drawn for a relatively low-odds goat hunt asking for advice. More important than the area itself, is a solid understanding of Goat Identification & understanding the importance of billy harvest (and not nanny harvest).

There are a lot of great resources out there, the Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance, the book "Beast The Color of Winter", as well as online articles. For the sake of the future goat populations, and hunters, do your research, be patient, and enjoy your hunt.

This piece touches on goats briefly, but also the importance of harvesting for age in sensitive populations such as goats and sheep.

https://journalofmountainhunting.com...-of-age-class/ - Tried to post the text in here but it limits you to 10'000 characters and this is 13'190

2. Site Sponsor

Re: LEH GOAT INFO - For First Time Goat Hunters.

I totally agree with harvesting a mature billy to preserve the population of goats. Also somethings you have to find out through researching and experience. I have a goat tag, bought a map from (world of maps ) or the area. All said I look forward to exploring the mountains and will enjoy every minute of it

thanks for the posted attachment

Well said .... goats are often glassed from a distance and generally in open terrain. Should have plenty of time to watch and observe and identify a billy to go after.

Dont just shoot the first goat you see because it's legal.

It's legal for me to loiter around high schools and talk to 15 year old girls as well ... doesnt mean I should! Lol

FYI, the big reason why Nannies are shunned upon if you take one is because Goats inherently are "low producing" a very susceptible to many issues.
    It happens that people take Nannies but take as much time as possible to avoid it.
    There is always next time.
    Lots of low odd leh permits if you are willing to hike thru snarly crap.
    (not necessarily long distances into back country, just a hard climb compared to other areas)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    FYI, the big reason why Nannies are shunned upon if you take one is because Goats inherently are "low producing" a very susceptible to many issues.
    It happens that people take Nannies but take as much time as possible to avoid it.
    There is always next time.
    Lots of low odd leh permits if you are willing to hike thru snarly crap.
    (not necessarily long distances into back country, just a hard climb compared to other areas)
    Yup spot on, big impacts in the herd with nanny harvest. Lots of good areas that aren't too far from roads, just a ******* to get to the goats.

Drew a goat tag for 4-06A. Anybody on here know much about the Gray Creek area or Kianuko Park?