Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Just joined the site to ask for help

Re: Just joined the site to ask for help

I’m a “new” member to HBC but not a new person to hunting. It takes some real skill to be a master at all game species.... I’m proficient at every bird and deer...catching onto this elk hunting game. Moose, goat, sheep, bison never have I ever, but you gotta start one day. I put in for the gambit expecting not to hit a single one but knowing if it did it would become my life. What do you know I got a goat draw... arguably the hardest to hunt (besides maybe bison). Have I been watching hunting shows most my life, yes. Do I know what to expect, it’s gonna be a grind. Am I going to learn everything I can about the unit I drew, you bet. Do I already have scouting trips plan yes (...we’ll see how that works with currently 5 wk old twins) Am I going to ask for help and tips from y’all...already have some via PM’s of guys who’ve hunted my unit before. What I’m getting at is I think we should all help if we can. Yes how one goes about asking for help good be a bit refined at times I’ve noticed. I helped a guy hunt turkeys this spring (amongst others who did) and I’ve never hunted BC for turkeys. (I have now and bagged a Tom in 30min this season coolest turkey hunt ever). Dude I helped where I could got a bird and now he’s hooked on hunting. We need more hunters period. So help if you can but keep to yourself if you don’t want to, it looks bad when you start blasting a new hunter for trying.

PS I drew the 3-33A goat for anyone that wants to team up, trade notes, give tips, or share success Nov 1st. I’ll be hiking past shoulder units and will share what I see for those that drew adjacent. I have a Pointing lab we can go hunt upland or ducks with and I love to hunt turkeys. Love fly fishing and tie my own. I’m also good at buying a beer or two.
    Last edited by avidnwoutdoorsman; 06-25-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm some grumpy hunters..lol..when I read the above. .I laugh..couple bear hunters this year..yup places that hold big bears..one missed a hog..6.5 foot bear..I ensure I show them where my meat pole is from my hunting there..I dont go to mediocre places I go to places I think through experience..research..talking with loggers etc that gives me the best chances at success .
    Never even occurred to me that anyone would give less than their best help.
    If you think that way...then your own counsel is the best advice you will get..
    Srupp
    It's not about grumpy hunters, and yes it is always good to lend a hand. However I do feel among the hunting community its becomes like a good fishing hole. I've spent years in different areas, trying and failing, trying and succeeding, try and just having adventures. That's hunting. Too me its always the same questions asked, where do I go to get the animals .......

Sometimes you just have to experience life for yourself and not ask others what it's like.

It's tough, a lot of new hunters spend time looking from the outside on these forums as we don't feel we have the knowledge to contribute. I will say though as a still new hunter, the information i have read on this forum has very much helped me learn and grow as a hunter, it has also educated me on different topics that i had no experience with.

I did get an LEH in an area i do not know and i will be going with another new hunter, we have been given some kind advice, along with knowing looks that we may have bitten off more then we can chew. This trip will hopefully be successful from a harvest POV, but more than that, we will make mistakes, have a laugh and learn, and in years to come have stories to tell.
    This will hopefully enable myself go contribute a bit more to the forum with hunting knowledge from real world experience. it needs to be a full circle, we all start somewhere we all needed help the first few times.

So i would like to thank the guys on here that do help, it is very much appreciated.

Now big question who got LEH grouse?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    What help? I have yet to see you post any animals you have taken so as far as I'm concerned we dont even know if you're someone whose advice we should be taking :P

You joined in 2011 and one of the FIRST threads you started was "moose help 7-11" for a draw your wife got. Did you forget that?

I just checked ... it was THE first thread you posted. Talk about hypocrisy.

Here is his thread..... asking for help in his first head on HBC:
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...aw-help-please
    This is hilarious. I've helped a couple people so far and it is very rewarding

Quote Originally Posted by cameron0518 View Post
    What I would like to see from all the big shots is for them to post on here all of their prime hunting spots. Giving your mediocre spot advice to beginners isn't much better than telling them to find a dirt road. Finding area isn't hard and I was naive enough 8 years ago not to know that. I live life to laugh and it's all good. I will still wake up laughing in the morning. But come on big shots, put your good spots up for HuntBc for all to see or don't think helping someone into a crap area is doing something that you should pat your back about. I know there are a lot of good guys on here but I bet most won't help as much as they claim they would.
    Why would anyone post their hunting spots, let alone their prime spots? What does that even have to do with anything?

There is plenty of advice and help to be had that does not involve anyone revealing their spots. So your insistence on calling people out for it is just ridiculous.

A lot of great advice is to do with timing, especially in areas too far to scout ... like the bison draws or northern elk draws.

Unless you personally know a mentor you're gonna have to do some work. No internet stranger is just going to hand hold another internet stranger for the season.

I thought the BC hunting chumps, chimps or champs (sorry, no glasses on so hard to see) were so helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by poper View Post
    Safe on foods.
    Thanks, now which store has the bigger steaks
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm many moons ago I decieded on a late season elk draw..knew nothing about the area. .so asked some folks from a hunting site about hunting elk in january near Dawson Creek..no experience in the area or january hunting Sitka Spruce and others gave me solid advice..got a nice elk.
    Got a toothache..see a dentist
    Got a headache . see a Dr.
    Have a question about hunting...ask a local hunter
    The trick..is to get a draw..win a tag...that can take..33 years in some cases..
    One year in advance...hell you still may be waiting in a decade..
    In 1 year..fires..closures..logging...land claims and conflicts..lots can change...always does..
    Yes absolutely due dilligence...do your homework...when that is done. ..does it conflict or match competent honest local knowledge..
    Its not 1 or tge other its both if possible..
    Never ever drew a bison tag..but when I do I have no problem asking those that went before me..what might help me in my quest...
    Recently I went fly fishing..couldnt lift my 9.9 hp motor out of the truck..asked a guy for help..he told me to pound sand. .if you cant do this..lifting a 100 pound motor I shouldnt be there..nor expect help..several guys jumped in to help.
    Its ok to need help..its ok to ask for help..however you should be doing your own digging..checking..map work..
    Between williams lake and horsefly..1 hour drive...moose can be found every single kilometer of that drive...from time to time..however there are areas that always hold moose from sept till..late oct..when they hit the wintering areas..concentrated areas perhaps 10 kilometers away.
    I spent 3 years trying to catch salmon in the Atnarko river..I just repeated my mistakes over and over..close? Yes but no cigar
    Warren Nichols grampa..Mr.Ed Gerow..spent 2 entire days. .fine tuning my attempts..untill I caught my first spring salmon..years later I spent 2 days tying on new hooks..fine tuning the attempts by a rookie salmon fisherman in the exact same location..the new fisherman..? My aged Father..I will never forget that smile as he caught..played..landed his first ever salmon. .all because skills..locations..how to was passed along payed it forward. .lwill always pay it forward...its how we learn..how we pass this hunting heritage forward..to the next generation and their children.
    They are getting out there trying...doing their best. .as will so many from this site...helping those willing to help themselves..
    Good luck to all those who head out with LEH..or GOS hunting plans.
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Great post Steven, well said.

I’ve helped many people over the years by giving information, taking them to productive areas and retrieving their game (with atv and boat) without wanting anything in return as I do it for my own self gratification. Just the beaming smile on their face is thank you enough. Everyone has to learn, but getting advice from somebody whose experienced an area or has hunted a specific species is invaluable. Boots on the ground and doing your homework finalizes the equation.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I thought the BC hunting chumps, chimps or champs (sorry, no glasses on so hard to see) were so helpful.
    For a guy who has it “ like water off a ducks back”, you sure sound sour. Looks like you’re just mad at yourself now for posting. Time to grow up.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

The attempt at attacking others others rather than owning up to not thinking through your rant before posting is not helping you any. Just repeat the following and be done with it” I guess I was guilty of asking for advice with my post maybe I should not be complaining about others doing the same”. It’s one thing to screw up it’s another how you respond to screwing up

I am actually laughing my ass off watching you dig a hole do you want a shovel?

So there you go you received helpful advice