Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boots for my old man

Boots for my old man

My dad at the age of 60 is wanting to come hunting with me, but he doesn’t have much in the way of outdoor gear. I have wool that he is going to borrow for poor weather days but he doesn’t have a good pair of boots. Now, if he was going to be going balls out and doing long hikes I’d steer him into a Lowa Tibet or something but reality is he has ankle issues so when he’s with me we will be sticking to easier terrain. Anyone have suggestions on a decent boot in the $200-300 range?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Boots for my old man

Have a look at Viberg. They have a good selection. I have always liked Danners for other than sheep. If it's sheep then it's hanwags all the way.

It would help to know the type of hunting you are likely to be doing and the area you are planning to hunt.
    If it is for moose up here in Region 6 in the late fall, I would suggest a pair of Muck boots- arctic pro model. Warm, Dry, comfy, waterproof, good traction and durable. I have worn mine for 7 hunting seasons plus as my daily winter boots. They have a lot of miles on them.
    They are not hiking boots. They are not hunting specific boots. But they work great in cold, snowy, wet miserable weather. And they are quiet. And they are less than $200 in most stores.
    Semper in excretum altum

Irish Setter or Danner have always worked well for me in that price range.

X2 for Irish setter, light, good traction, warm, water proof, super comfy, and last along time

My $300 irish setters get wet in 4hrs and take 2 days to dry by the woodstove, I will never buy them again, pure garbage.

I also recommend watching for sales at Cabela's. I picked up a pair of Meindl's in that upper price range and they are the best boots I have tried

I'm 66 and hunt alone in rugged country. I got some Lowa Tibet boots of a member here last year 'cause they didn't quite fit him right. I happy with them.

I have four screws in one ankle so you might say I have ankle issues too.

All I would add is that some kind of lace-up boot with good ankle support is what he needs.

Yeppers and 300.00 made in China rip off!
    Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    My $300 irish setters get wet in 4hrs and take 2 days to dry by the woodstove, I will never buy them again, pure garbage.

Danner Proghorns 8"