Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boots for my old man

Re: Boots for my old man

Same age demographic as your Dad, purchased Meindl last year to replace an ancient leather hiking/climbing boot. Excellent, comfy, no regrets spending a few $$$$ more.

Last edited by mike31154; 06-27-2019 at 09:46 AM.

I think there is allot of junk boots in the $200-300 budget. I picked up a pair of Danner Pronghorns for $50 when wholesale was closing out and they are ok at best. Normally a $200 boot.

Aside from those Danners, I probably wasted $800 buying boots over a 7 year period before I speant $430 on my Hanwags. Those Hanwags are 6 years old now and have 4 backpack goat hunts, a pile of elk/ deer/bear hunts and more than 200 training hikes. Cant even start to guess how many miles. Always had dry, comfortable feet,.

I hate that "buy once cry once" line. It really isn't practical for most hunting items when your disposable income is very limited. Many guys on a budget would be going without optics for several years if they bought into it.

Unlike optics, rifles, packs, tents, sleeping bags........with boots the difference between crap and top of the line is only a couple hundred bucks, and well worth finding the extra $$
    Last edited by Ron.C; 06-27-2019 at 10:51 AM.

Some thing I have noticed a with new hunters especially, is that they tend to spend lots of money on firearms, and not much on other gear. I would suggest that good boots is at the top of the list, when it comes to hunting. If your footwear is not good quality, it will wear out quickly and probably not be to comfortable on your feet over rough terrain. After boots comes goods optics. If you can't see it, you can't hunt it. As for firearms, all I will say is this, if bow hunters can get within 40 yds of game, a guy with a cheap gun at 100 yds is probably pretty easy to do. Spend money as others have suggested on good quality boots. Even if you don't use them for hunting that often, they always come in handy for hiking and walking on rough terrain.

Good boots make or break a hunt/hike. I’ve tried many over the years and found Kenetrek boots fit me best and are long lasting. From mountain shale to slogging water all day, my feet are dry and happy. Spend the extra and keep your feet happy and healthy.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

For guy's just starting out I would recommend spending their money #1 on boots then #2 optics (binos), you can always pick up a reasonable priced rifle.