Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best time to go for leh zone 7-20 A elk dec1- feb 28

Best time to go for leh zone 7-20 A elk dec1- feb 28

Hey all

Just wondering what the best times to head up to this zone for the antlerless leh draw. I've done the hunt before in late February just wondering what everyone's two cents are.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best time to go for leh zone 7-20 A elk dec1- feb 28

Hmmm the best time ?
    When its cold, brutally cold...like minus 30..
    AND
    deep hard to get through snow..
    Both are needed, these conditions force the elk out of the woods and to raid the ranchers hay supplies..
    The whole idea was to save farmers, ranchers hay supply and the coresponding pay out for hay damage.
    The past couple years have been NOT condusive to successful elk harvest.
    When the conditions are cold with really deep snow..GO..
    Srupp

Perfect now we just need a winter in this province again cheers srupp

Hmmm, another one that has contributed nothing but wants help. Good thing Srupp is such a good guy as many others don't respect that. Good luck anyways but no help from me.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron0518 View Post
    Hmmm, another one that has contributed nothing but wants help. Good thing Srupp is such a good guy as many others don't respect that. Good luck anyways but no help from me.
    It bothers me to no end how little hunting people these days seem to want to do! Learning, finding and even making mistakes are the best part ! And cultivating your own success is the best feeling in the world.

You better thank srupp for the info, he's quite the gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    It bothers me to no end how little hunting people these days seem to want to do! Learning, finding and even making mistakes are the best part ! And cultivating your own success is the best feeling in the world.

You better thank srupp for the info, he's quite the gentleman.
    That's just dumb. Why would wasting your time and gas
    And making mistakes be "the best part"? Its a great way to get someone to quit hunting is what it is.

As someone who did this for years with mediocre success it was dumb. I could have advanced my hunting and eliminated years of trial end error by just making more friends and not being too shy to pick the brains of more accomplished hunters early on in my career.

Sure, you need to be able to show you are serious and dedicated and have some hustle in you for hitting the Bush, but that doesnt mean asking questions and learning through conversation that he wants the easy way out.

What's he supposed to do? Make 5 LONG drives up there only to realize what srupp just told him in 2 mins of his time?

Srupp gave the best answer that could be given

So book time off when you think will be best or watch the weather and go when conditions are right. It would not hurt to go up early and scout some permission. The more places you have permission to hunt the better because you also need to gamble the elk are on the properties you have permission on well you are there.

All the OP asked for is the best time to go. That's not asking for much really.

Hmmmm I do have a contact number for a ranch up there..some years its good..some not..send pm with ph number I could call youuwith aa contact.
    Good luck
    Steven

The longer you wait with the draw the less appealing the meat is as there is no fat left on the animals come february