Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 33 years

Re: 33 years

why do people every year think that they are applying for a hunt code with a preset determination of the odds? [ when nobody knows how many people will enter that lottery]
    I'm also curious of the OP and what sort of draw odds he has been entering. I've been successful on moose draws over the years but they are usually in 5:1 to 10:1 draws. [ this year was 25.5 : 1 and we were successful ]

Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    Well another year without success on moose good luck to the individuals that got one
    What are the odds on the hunt you put in for? The actual numbers? Why in the world are you not applying for other hunts with better odds? 33 years of the same unsuccessful draw and you might want to swicth up your plan.

I wish the guys that bitch and whine about the draw wait times in Alberta would pay more attention to what you guys go thru.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    I wish the guys that bitch and whine about the draw wait times in Alberta would pay more attention to what you guys go thru.
    It's all relevant. Here in BC as everyone knows, the LEH is a crapshoot. If you are willing to travel and work harder for your animal "access hard to reach areas most often on foot", that crapshoot isn't bad and you'll get some tags. " doesn't mean you'll get an animal"

But at least we have the option of hunting almost every big game animal on a GOS somewhere. Just have to be willing to travel and work for it.

My bro in law lives in Wainwright and wont leave the local MU to hunt . But at least he can predict when he'll get his mule deer draw, and is content chasing those tiny whitetail until he does
    Last edited by Ron.C; 06-26-2019 at 11:58 AM.

bigben, 33 years is a lifetime for some!!!!!
    Out of curiosity, what sort of odds are the hunts you put in for?
    Last edited by Ron.C; 06-26-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    It's all relevant. Here in BC as everyone knows, the LEH is a crapshoot. If you are willing to travel and work harder for your animal "access hard to reach areas most often on foot", that crapshoot isn't bad and you'll get some tags. " doesn't mean you'll get an animal"

But at least we have the option of hunting almost every big game animal on a GOS somewhere. Just have to be willing to travel and work for it.

My bro in law lives in Wainwright and wont leave the local MU to hunt . But at least he can predict when he'll get his mule deer draw, and is content chasing those tiny whitetail until he does
    That's right. All moose is draw here. In my wmu so is mule deer. Some zones have a undersubscribted moose tags which if a fella wanted to travel and put in the effort would let him moose hunt every year. The undersubscribted hunts kind of turn into a lottery and I'm not positive if you loose priority points. I'm sitting on a priority 11 for mule deer so I should be able to get a tag anywhere in the province. I feel sorry for the guys in bc that spend 40 years putting in for island elk and their neighbors have got drawn multiple times. The only complaint I have with our system is in the case with the bison which in reality was a low odds lottery that some had been drawn more then once. I think something like this should've been a once in lifetime lottery tag.

Quote Originally Posted by shottyshooter View Post
    My son didn’t get his youth doe draw at .8:1 odds that’s (decimal)8!!! Better than 1:1 odds HTF does that happen?

sad part is he’s a teen and seems to be losing interest in hunting what with girls and all hahaha. He was really discouraged and hinted at not coming this year because he feels it’s hopeless. Last three years have been hot strange weather and we just haven’t been seeing bucks so the doe tag was really encouraging for him.
    Those odds would of been last years, not this years. Maybe its 1.1:1. Ive lost in some very low odd hunts a few times
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    That's right. All moose is draw here. In my wmu so is mule deer. Some zones have a undersubscribted moose tags which if a fella wanted to travel and put in the effort would let him moose hunt every year. The undersubscribted hunts kind of turn into a lottery and I'm not positive if you loose priority points. I'm sitting on a priority 11 for mule deer so I should be able to get a tag anywhere in the province. I feel sorry for the guys in bc that spend 40 years putting in for island elk and their neighbors have got drawn multiple times. The only complaint I have with our system is in the case with the bison which in reality was a low odds lottery that some had been drawn more then once. I think something like this should've been a once in lifetime lottery tag.
    What happens when you have 50 guys with max priority points in a draw with 5 available tags?
    What happens the next year when 50 more guys (that's 95 total now) have max points...and still only 5 tags available.
    And the next year when 50 MORE guys have max (140 at max points....still only 5 tags).
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    What happens when you have 50 guys with max priority points in a draw with 5 available tags?
    What happens the next year when 50 more guys (that's 95 total now) have max points...and still only 5 tags available.
    And the next year when 50 MORE guys have max (140 at max points....still only 5 tags).
    Keep building points until you're drawn or pick a zone where the priority you have built up will work. It will happen just need patience not luck.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wouldn't trade our system for any type of priority system. It's pure luck, and you have the same chance of drawing of its the first year or 50th year putting in for a tag. This is fantastic! Treat it for what it is, a lottery, pure and simple.