Thread: Bags, Sacks and Packs

Bags, Sacks and Packs

Hi guys,
    So I've been looking for my first hunting pack and have been completely overwhelmed by the sheer number of styles and sizes available.
    I am looking for something I can use for multi day hunts but isn't excessively large. I think 60L would be more than enough storage.
    I would also like it to have a meat carrying capacity (like straps or cradle) to allow me to pack out an animal.
    I am wondering what everyone else uses and whether there are good all round style bags or if I will need to get several?

Thanks in advance.
    Ali

"It is a blessing of the wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." - Horace Kephart

"Don't ever be afraid to try something!! Remember a lone amateur built the ark and a large group of professionals built the titanic..."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bags, Sacks and Packs

If you get serious about it you'll probably end up with multiple packs, lol. I think 60L will be too small for multi-day if you're living out of the pack and want to carry out a deboned animal. Blacktail deer it might be ok... A big muley, sheep, goat, elk, etc... you'll want a bigger carrying capacity. Most of the packs can be strapped/packed down smaller so they aren't so bulky if they aren't full. My MR 6500 is 106 liters and she's packed full on a multi-day (7-10 day) trip.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Karl makes a good point. It's easier to deal with extra room then find yourself without enough.

But before you buy, try and get as many different packs on as you can. Its allot about personal preference.

I for one am a fan of external frame packs. I have two bags for my frame, and switch depending on the hunt I'm on.

mystery ranch metcalf I love it. my other choice would be exo 3500

Depending on your budget, I'd check out the Stone Glacier packs. They cover alot of bases with their multiple expansion design.

Seekoutside, kifaru, mystery ranch, exo, stone glacier. I think if you find one of those brands that fits your style and body you won't be unhappy.

I would go with the mystery ranch metcalf. I have the Marshall was hiking all weekend with 50lbs in the pack and worked very well. Rampart has a sale on mystery ranch but it might be over now

You will be surprised how much room you need for a multi day trip with all your gear and food. 60L might be tight. I have a Kuiu Icon Pro 7200 and 1800 (bring on the hate). It has served me well. Friends of mine run Stone Glacier and Exo packs. I would be more inclined to save up for either of those. You are right lots of options. Try finding someone in your area with a pack to try on.

So far so good with the stone glacier sky talus 6900. Works great as a day pack, can’t see myself ever using a smaller pack for how it compresses. My next pack will be even larger, I don’t enjoy Tetris-ing my gear into small packs for multi day trips...