Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for advice re: Hunting by horseback

Re: Looking for advice re: Hunting by horseback

Did a lot of horseback hunting out of Teepee Heart Ranch with Billy Hutch many years ago. One of the guys with us, we called the wrangler as he had a bunch of his own horses in Fort Langley. Taught us a lot in the handling of the shitters. Asked him why he didn't just trailer up a couple of his own horses that he was familiar with, instead of using the ones that Dwayne and Marion lent us. Pretty much said that riding/packing his own horses in the country we were hunting would probably kill them as they knew nothing of that type of bush, meadows, terrain or wildlife as they had not been raised there.

What the heck is a 'belly band' ? ))

Any horse can be exposed to trail riding, and any trail ride can become a hunting trip, complexity is subjective
    The most basic ride would be a scouting trip for further road hunt with a truck, next level could be riding in, shooting, and then packing the critter out on the riding saddle while walking. and it grows from there
    Ladyhawke sounds like you already have horse/s, so the lifestyle of owning is done, now to move on , it will be fun

Wife and I cut our teeth wwwaayyyy back with the Backcountry Horseman group, before they got all 'regulated', learned packing from a guy who took pack trips into the Manning Park area iirc
    BCHofBC can be a good resource and offer good exposure, then take your experience from there
    They have annual Rendezvous, convention type thing with demos and clinics and vendors etc, the ones in Washington or Idaho are well worth the visit, they have way more to offer than the BC one, unless things have changed lots

On the saddle topic, a good style to look for is called an Association saddle, lots to hold on to and keep you seated.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Know the difference between a horse and a ATV/UTV? You don't have to feed the ATV/UTV 365/year.
    I lived in Quesnel a while back. Was up in the "back 40" when I meet this horsey guy on his mount.
    He asks, "You the guy quading around the other side of the hill?"
    I goes, "Yeaah. You got a problem with that?"
    He says, "No. I was just wondering when you are going to go through to the other end."
    Says I, "Why?"
    To which he says, "I just find it easier to follow a ATV trail because you open them up and there are less Joe-pokes sticking me and the horse."
    "You'll be happy to know that the trail is open now from one end to the other, enjoy. But try to keep it a secret."
    The trail was an old grown in wagon road from long ago but getting to the entrance points was was obscure.
    Now aside from that.
    BRValley's suggestion is probably your best bet. Actually, I think it would be mandatory for you to take the course that Blue Creek offers. You'll get it right the first time.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I have a fair amount of experience guiding horseback hunts. Generally, you use a whole string of at least four or five horses so you can pack gear, carcass, have a riding horse, and then be able to exchange horses to give them a day off. Still, a single horse would be a great way to get into the back country for day trips. Stalking and shooting is done one foot while the horse is tied up. This is where having at least two horses would be important so they can keep each other company. Alternatively, if you have two people you can have one person to holding/leading the horse while the other shoots. Usually, horses are pretty quick figuring out what you're trying to do and will be remarkably cooperative; if properly habituated they won't have an adverse reaction to a shot being fired. Knowing how to pack is a big part of the whole endeavour, normally this applies to pack saddles and panniers but there are ways to pack a deer-sized animal onto a riding saddle (western) and then lead the horse back to your trailer. I don't have my own horses unfortunately, but send me a PM and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Hey Ladyhawke:

I can also recommend Stan Walchuk/Bluecreek/BCOutfitter.com as a great learning resource. That's where I started and it's allowed me to get fairly serious about packing onto the mountains.

Moosey is right - you can go full on pack trip with a big string into the mountains or just ride a single horse back off the road a good ways to get into great country. He's also right about knowing how to pack.

There are some folks in the GVRD/Fraser Valley area doing this. Shoot me a pm and I'll try to connect you.

Jagermeister - know the dif between a horse and an ATV? A horse will go where an ATV can't (At least I've taken my horse where I couldn't get my ATV!)

Although, to be fair, my little ATV will carry more weight than the horse will. I'm not sure which can pull more. Going to have to test that.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Indeed, very interesting thread

Bring Vicks Vapour rub.... Some horses don't like the smell of dead animal. I had a great do anything horse but always needed a good gob of Vicks up both nostrils before loadin' him up with a deer or else we would have a backcountry rodeo.

Huntin' horseback is a great way to get around but does require extra work in the field but rids you the work of carrying a heavy pack. I would recommend heading out with someone experienced a few times first.

Best part about hunting on horses is you don't have to eat freeze dried meals.

Good luck!
    "You have to be comfortable with being uncomfortable." -Remi Warren

BCWF, WSSBC