Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sooke coho

Re: Sooke coho

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    LOL! I love how you can read my mindset from afar. NOT!
    FYI I have been directly involved in populations enhancement programs ranging from in-stream through to full factory hatchery production.
    And I've clipped one hell of a lot of fish in my time.
    Guess you forgot my life's work was as a biologist. In fisheries...

And yep, the difference can be night and day alright.
    But by NOT marking all fish (whether coho or springs) and then MAKING those who fish for them only take the ones that are marked, you subject a much larger number to C&R efforts, along with the related hooking/ handling mortality. If you are not going to clip them all, then the employ of such a rule should be avoided. The results are FAR larger of an impact, over greater numbers, than simply keeping the first two you catch. Really.

Cheers,
    Nog

Lets agree to disagree.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    LOL! I love how you can read my mindset from afar. NOT!
    FYI I have been directly involved in populations enhancement programs ranging from in-stream through to full factory hatchery production.
    And I've clipped one hell of a lot of fish in my time.
    Guess you forgot my life's work was as a biologist. In fisheries...

And yep, the difference can be night and day alright.
    But by NOT marking all fish (whether coho or springs) and then MAKING those who fish for them only take the ones that are marked, you subject a much larger number to C&R efforts, along with the related hooking/ handling mortality. If you are not going to clip them all, then the employ of such a rule should be avoided. The results are FAR larger of an impact, over greater numbers, than simply keeping the first two you catch. Really.

Cheers,
    Nog
    I agree with the above. When I used to work for the DFO briefly back in the early 1990s, it was estimated that ~30% of released fish die. So catching and releasing a bunch of coho while trying to find a clipped fin likely results in the mortality of several wild and hatchery fish, beyond those kept by the angler.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    I agree with the above. When I used to work for the DFO briefly back in the early 1990s, it was estimated that ~30% of released fish die. So catching and releasing a bunch of coho while trying to find a clipped fin likely results in the mortality of several wild and hatchery fish, beyond those kept by the angler.

Those numbers are way too high.
    1. Human over population

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Where are your numbers to disprove??

Those numbers are probably conservative to say the least. When you consider how many weekend warriors are out there fishing, who have no idea how to handle a fish, little lone identify a species correctly. I have seen lots of this over the years sports fishing. Coho are extremely susceptible to lactic acid build up when on a line for any amount of time. They can appear very active or alive when boated or pulled along side, but when released soon die, due to the stress of the activity they have just been through. The guy releasing them, never knows the result, as the fish is then down deep enough, it just sinks to the bottom. There have been a number of studies out here on the coast for both sport and commercial catches.

Quote Originally Posted by New Bow Hunter View Post
    Where are your numbers to disprove??

I don't know if this helps you

http://publications.gc.ca/collection...99-127-eng.pdf
    1. Human over population

page 3 near the top it says from 5 to 30 % mortality higher with mooching than with trolling

Thumbs down Re: Sooke coho

No actually they are not.
    Of course a lot depends on the condition of the fish to start with, age, size, robustness, etc.
    Then the amount of time fighting. And under what conditions (water temp, etc etc etc)
    Then the handling / release techniques (or lack thereof).
    Then predation by seals & sea lions who literally & intentionally hunt for these released fish.

I have been directly involved in numerous studies, both commercial and recreational, studying C&R moralities.
    30 % is on the higher end, but easily achievable with less experienced folks.

Regardless, even 15 % is too much.
    Kill the first couple and be done with.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

the report agrees with nog for the most part....excerpt: "the mortality rate for coho hooked in the deep mouth was 56% (44.7-66.9)"

these fish were kept in pens away from any seal predation....im starting to wonder if any released fish actually survive
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 07-15-2019 at 04:34 PM.

Adriaticum is completely clueless on this matter.