Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Black Bear Success

My First Black Bear Success

Hi Gang, I’d like to share my black bear season with you. I’ve really put more effort in Spring Bear this year than any other. Having never shot a bear before, I was very determined. As well as having a 10 year old son and a 12 year old daughter who look up to their dad as a ‘bigtime hunter’, I had a good feeling about this season. Being focussed on taking a bear this spring, we (my son and I) typically found ourselves getting out once during the week after work, and once on the weekends on a regular basis. I’ve only focussed on one area this year as I have a history of going from one place to the next. My wife kept saying, “keep going back”, so I took her advice and this particular spot has turned into my new honey hole. For the season we were 5 for 6 for seeing bears on our hunt. The one time we didn’t see a bear we saw three moose so I figured that still validates the area. During the season we actually got some nice video of a sow and cub team.

The story starts two nights before. My son was at a birthday party that evening so we dedicated the night to a father-daughter hunt. Awesome. We went back to the usual haunt and actually got into a situation where we ended up seeing a handful of bears. I wasn’t able to capitalize on any opportunities but we had an epic hunt nonetheless. My son and I decided to go back two nights later. He thought it would be best to sit and glass the clear cut that his sister and I had the encounters in previously. He figures if it works for Steve Rinella, It’d work for us. And that’s what we did. We sat and glassed for as long as he and I could take it…20 minutes. Yup, we closed up shop, hopped back on the quad and drove out. On our way out, I spot him to the left, exact same spot as the other night. Same bear, same location. He gave me a broadside shot around 75 yards and my Tikka T3x .270 put 130 grains into his lungs and he ran 40 yards and piled up.

It was my sons first witness to a big game animal kill and he took it like a champ. We always talk about emotions and paying respect and utilizing the animal and ethics etc. So that was a big part of our approach to processing the bear and taking it all in. A real wonderful evening in the woods together. And that’s when the work started. It’s definitely a two man job loading a 200lb bear onto the front of a quad. Well, there was 1.25 men that night but what I got a kick out of was hearing my son say “boy, you sure are strong dad! Your muscles must be burning.” As I was dragging this bear to within winch range. He did everything he could do to help and was determined to get bloody. “This is just like a biology lesson.” as he’s holding the heart in his hands noting the ‘tubes’ coming out of it.

We got home at 11 that night and I was up until 2am skinning and getting him chilling in the cooler. I’m in love with my meat cooler. Holds 1.5 degrees in 30 degree weather. Has everything ready to rock and roll so now when I get time to butcher, I grab a quarter from the back yard and start slicing.

Skinned, the bear weighed 145lbs. Hide and head weighed 32 lbs. Alive I’d guess he weighed 200lbs. Rough measurements hanging on the gambrel, tail to snout roughly 58”. Not the biggest bear in the woods but this father/son team couldn’t be more proud.

Thanks,
    Myles

Last edited by montec assassin; 06-19-2019 at 06:02 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My First Black Bear Success

Last edited by montec assassin; 06-18-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Nice bear! What an experience to share with your son!

Coagulation! Never shot a bear, but even one I know that bear hunt's says I'm really missing out.

Congratulations. Great story and memories!

Excellent write-up and bear. Congrats to father and son on a great harvest and great memories.

Great bear, that’s a wicked cooler you have there..

Thats a good sized bear, attago
    No need to apologize for that one
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Congrats sounds like you and the boy built a memory to share

Congrats! Thanks for sharing your story
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton