Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drop off hunt

Re: Drop off hunt

Our cost was $1100 each way, took us one flight each way, they joked we were sheep hunters since we took so little gear in with us. We had a specific spot we wanted to fly to that was a decent ways in, but there is definitely stuff closer, we spoke to one group that was just hunting over the ridge, said their flight was less than 10 minutes.. We same game the whole flight in as soon as we got over the first ridge. I counted over a dozen moose and we also saw several herds of caribou on just the flight in.

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Anyone used RiverJet since Kevin sold the company?
    I don't think so until at least the start of August rolls around...

If you've never done a drop hunt before, I'd recommend RJA. Partly because weight is much less of an issue, so you can pack a bit extra and figure out your best system for base and spike camps. Also, the meat shuttle service, so if someone in your group gets something early, it doesn't have to hang for a week or more. Another advantage to boat is that they can run in nearly any weather. Sept 2016 was the one and only time that Kevin had to play the safety card due to debris and postpone charters for a day. We went out the following day and the Muskwa had completely altered its course in 2 different places after an epic multi day downpour.

Also, unlike a lake, the likelihood of having groups stacked in the same hunting area is greatly reduced.

Honestly, I'd recommend doing both types of drop hunts eventually, but riverboat is a good one to start with, for the reasons already mentioned.

U can try double a packers There on the prophet river. Great outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by 460s&w View Post
    U can try double a packers There on the prophet river. Great outfit.
    Thanks I sent them an email inquiring about drop off services as I cant afford the $5k for all inclusive. A friend of mine has done the all inclusive with them a couple times and has nothing but good things to say about it.

What's meant by all inclusive?
    Obviously they can't guide, so I'm curious what they do besides packing your gear to base camp?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    What's meant by all inclusive?
    Obviously they can't guide, so I'm curious what they do besides packing your gear to base camp?
    They provide meals and hot showers as well as have a meat cooler etc.

So basically a hunting 'spa'. Haha.

I'm guessing they horse pack you in and out of camp every day too? Probably a fair price for the services offered, if that's the kind of hunt a guy is into.

If a comfy camp and awesome meals are the main objective, a guy can do 'er up pretty good with a river boat ride for thousands less.

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorse View Post
    Hey geo guy, just curious what was the cost of the flights in and out all said and done? thanks
    I flew with them for the past two years. $9.50/mile for the Beaver. 1200 lbs capacity (including passengers).

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    So basically a hunting 'spa'. Haha.

I'm guessing they horse pack you in and out of camp every day too? Probably a fair price for the services offered, if that's the kind of hunt a guy is into.

If a comfy camp and awesome meals are the main objective, a guy can do 'er up pretty good with a river boat ride for thousands less.
    I dont, someone cooking for me while I'm out hunting sounds pretty sweet. Warm bed to sleep in at night doesnt sound too bad either. I dont make enough to justify the extra cost though and my small tent will have to do.