Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drop off hunt

Drop off hunt

Hi
    So a friend and I have been talking about doing a drop off hunt for elk, caribou or moose. The problem is that we dont have any friends who have done a hunt like this. We looked at riverjet adventures which would be cool but are also interested in fly in.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or names of packing companies for us to contact?
    To go for caribou where would a guy even fly out of? I have heard Prophet river come up lots, is that a good area to start our search?
    As you can tell this is the very early stages of planning and we haven't even narrowed an area down yet.
    Our budget isn't huge because we are both middle class family men.
    Thanks for any recommendations you guys have we are planning towards next year.
    Chris

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Drop off hunt

Riverjet is nice in that you get to take a lot more stuff. Airplanes are weight limited.

That said, I went in with Riverjet once but my next will definitely be a fly-in.

I can't recall the outfit off the top of my head but there is a good air service out of Dease Lake. I'm sure a quick google will turn something up.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

BC Yukon Air is out of dease lake. Great company.

If you're looking for caribou, look north west of dease and pick a lake, good numbers of Moose in there as well.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Albravo did you have success harvesting anything? Why would you go with a plane rather than the boat? Which river did you end up going down?
    Thanks

Did a fly in out of Dease 2 years ago and am going again this year. Got a caribou and a moose between 2 of us. Had opportunities on more animals as well but limited by weight when flying out so stuck with just the two animals so it would require a second flight. BC Yukon Air is a phenomenal operation and they are all great guys. Lots of real good country around Dease Lake, you can pretty much pick any lake and have a real good chance of success.

Geo guy how far did you have to fly from dease lake to get into game?

Hey geo guy, just curious what was the cost of the flights in and out all said and done? thanks

I have gone with BC Yukon Air as well as Riverjet. I would say you are in good hands either way.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Albravo did you have success harvesting anything? Why would you go with a plane rather than the boat? Which river did you end up going down?
    Thanks
    We came real close on an elk, but no harvest. We were up the Tuchodi river. Amazing territory up there. I'm going plane next time for many reasons, including variety.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Anyone used RiverJet since Kevin sold the company?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education