Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Areas to run/train dogs in the lower mainland

Areas to run/train dogs in the lower mainland

I'm having trouble finding suitable fields/areas to run my dog that are good for planting birds, firing the occasional shot etc. as I train her up for the upcoming season. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find somewhere to do this?
    I've been heading up to Merritt and the surrounding area but was looking for somewhere closer to home.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Areas to run/train dogs in the lower mainland

I think a guy may have to go knock on some doors of people who have acreage out in Langley, Abbottsford, or the Ladner area. I'm in the same boat living here in the north part odf Surrey. Pretty sure my griff is starting to get bored doing endless retrieving drills with rubber or canvas dummies and dokkens. Not only that, but people are starting to give me some pretty weird looks after seeing my dog bring back a dead, unthawed mallard from a blind search on the school yard that's close by. LOL

I had mine hunting wings and dead birds in the endowment lands at UBC. And, I got a cheap cap gun and shot while she retrieved from just north of the dog beach towards spanish banks.

Best thing you can do is join a local retriver. Some lease grounds, and members have access to places.

Fraser Valley retriever club and BC Lab Club are both in the lower mainland
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Excellent ideas gang. Thanks for the help

Al,why don't you versatile dog guys get together to train dogs on a regular basis,I'm sure somebody has an area to train dogs.HzP is coming up!
    Rainer

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    Al,why don't you versatile dog guys get together to train dogs on a regular basis,I'm sure somebody has an area to train dogs.HzP is coming up!
    Rainer
    I'd be up, for that. Anybody know anyone with some property somewhere in the Fraser Valley or the Delta/lLadner area?

PM sent ab3...

Looking for the same info, or to team up with some people/dogs. Got a 8.5mo old pointing lab. Would like to get her over some birds and find a dog to hunt with/behind this fall.

I ended up joining pacific northwest NAVHDA. They train in 3 places around washington closest one is monroe which is about a 2hr drive from Delta. Great bunch of folks who love to train dogs and help new members but only for versitile breeds.
    Last edited by bubba350; 10-01-2019 at 02:12 PM.