Thread: North Island

North Island

Alright, so when it comes to fishing... I'm mostly standing in the river enjoying the scenery hahaha

Moving to Alert Bay has made me want to learn a lot more. Both salt water and north island fresh water.

I've got a few buddies on the south Island that know what they are doing when it comes to lings/salmon/halibut.. but they don't have much experience up here. I've caught pinks in Campbell River on the fly, but that's as north as I've fished before now.

Any advice or things I should put more effort into? Crabs or Prawns? Fishing from shore a possibility (no boat right now).

Thanks guys

2. Site Sponsor

Re: North Island

I would consider a boat a necessity up there. Even an inflatable dinghy with a small outboard motor or a kayak would open up a lot more fishing options.

Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    I would consider a boat a necessity up there. Even an inflatable dinghy with a small outboard motor or a kayak would open up a lot more fishing options.
    A boat is in the future plans.. just not an option this summer after all the moving costs

prawning is tough from shore. I've seen guys drop crab traps from paddle boards though.

Should be salmon fishing off the beaches adjacent to river mouths soon, starting with the pinks and then coho in September. Casting flies or spoons.

You need a boat..... Shore fishing can produce Salmon and Cod... But it gets way better in a boat.. even a 14' Aluminum will get you better.
    Crabs you might be able to do well fishing from a dock...

Fuel up the pickup and explore your area as far as rivers go.... it will take time to peg down a run of fish weather it be Steel, Trout or salmon... That takes time.
    you can fast track that by finding a buddy who has lived there a while..

Back issues of BC Outdoors will highlight good fishing in the area.

As 835 says, a 14-footer with a decent outboard (you don't need a 60hp Merc) will get you lots of places. Blackfish Sound is just around the corner, as is the Vancouver Island shore northwest of Port McNeill. I used to be on a seiner that fished in Double Bay at Hanson Island, lots of little rockfish holes are there as well as chinooks. Once you get talking to a few people in the Bay, they'll clue you in.

Keogh River used to have steelhead too. You can drive to there and walk it.

Thanks for the info guys!

People have been really friendly and helpful out here. Been awesome. Nice to having a "starting point" for all the trial and error I got coming my way haha