Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who here has arrowed a sheep?

Who here has arrowed a sheep?

Soooooo I think I have sheep fever. With upcoming leh draws, I kinda could care less about anything other than the bighorn areas. With this in mind I have been preparing and planning for my first sheep hunt. Plan A is to head north in the second half of September for 10 days, if that falls through then I will chase the bighorns closer to home until season opener.

To add to this experience, I have dedicated this year to solely hunting with my longbows and recurves. I acknowledge that this really will stack the odds in the sheep’s favour, but it’s called sheep hunting.

With this in mind I want to ask who on this forum has chased sheep with a bow and where you successful? Is there any lessons or tips that were learned that could possibly change the outcome? I have poured through the search function and have read all the stories I could find.

Thanks in advance for your input,

bushpilot

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Who here has arrowed a sheep?

Bushpiolt - I arrowed a Stone's sheep in 2013 @ 28 yards but with a compound. We watched them for a couple days waiting until the band was in a position for a decent stalk. If I had tried stalking them the first day or two they surely would have blown out and may not have found them again.
    Good luck with the stick bow!
    "There'll be no quitters, till we bag some critters"
    WSSBC - RMGA - BHA - CCFR

Also doing my first stone sheep hunt with the bow this year! Buddy is taking a rifle so trying to talk him into sitting on sheep for a couple days might be tricky lol

Sounds like a classic spot and stalk, sounds like it can be exciting!

Good luck Danny, I will look forward to hear how things go for you.

My nephew arrowed a dandy a couple years ago. Compound though.

I think you'll have an amazing time, especially knowing the distinction between hunting and killing.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Good luck. Little extra weight but I’d pack along a lightweight rifle for safety.....may be nice to have for the last few days if not a stick/string purist.

Thanks for some of the feedback. I learned last year on a goat hunt that if yourself or your buddy brings a rifle on a archery hunt, the chances are extremely high that the gun is going to get used.

Of those that have been successful did you find that stalking was the way to go. Or did you somewhat pattern the sheep’s movements and set up in ambush? I am thinking I might want to find a bowhunting partner for this trip so we can use both stalking and setting and ambush in escape terrain to maximize odds.

I killed a sheep with y rifle last year on opening day and a stalk would have been impossible. There were multiple sheep and it was wide open. However, they were feeding in an area that an ambush would have been possible. I am a bow hunter as well so I have been thinking in my head how to do it with a bow. Like mentioned above, being patient and learning the sheep then either stalking when the time is right or setting up an ambush would be how I would do it.

The problem with my hunt is that there were other hunters going after the sheep and it made being patient impossible. I plan on taking one with my compound eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    Thanks for some of the feedback. I learned last year on a goat hunt that if yourself or your buddy brings a rifle on a archery hunt, the chances are extremely high that the gun is going to get used.

Of those that have been successful did you find that stalking was the way to go. Or did you somewhat pattern the sheep’s movements and set up in ambush? I am thinking I might want to find a bowhunting partner for this trip so we can use both stalking and setting and ambush in escape terrain to maximize odds.
    There has been a few bighorns taking in the EK last few years by bow. With the amount of pressure they get it can be hard to wait and pattern them. If you no there escape routes that can come in handy opening day for there is quite often others after the same group. Years ago was easier to no there travel routes at different times of the season especially late and you could sit in certain passes and wait. Look into areas were you may not expect to find sheep and you may be surprised (Timbered areas, find hidden water holes etc ) could suggest a few spots to have a look if interested, some guys are all ready out spotting in the EK.

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post

I would never go out on a archery hunt without a gun for protection!!!
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit